The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: mk1 safrane grill
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:28 am 

Anyone got one, colour doesn't matter as i cant paint it although persian red would be a bonus.

Mine is wrecked, would be nice to replace it. Does anyone know if a mk2 grill would fit as a last resort?

Post subject: Re: mk1 safrane grill
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:29 pm 

Several of my breakers over the years had broken grilles and i only had one perfect grille which i had painted Persian red for my old K reg V6 that had a brken grille....
It was my ONLY perfect grille and i don,t even have a spare myself in my collection,the Phase 1 grille is totally different and won,t fit,also be careful if you get a complete grille as its 2 part and there are 2 different types one for headlamp washer and one without,the headlamp washer one is only on early V6 models.
Phase 1 breakers seem to be non existant at the moment i have a few people looking for me but had no luck yet,i want a few more parts to top my collection up..

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:30 pm 

SAFRANEV6RXE wrote:
Several of my breakers over the years had broken grilles and i only had one perfect grille which i had painted Persian red for my old K reg V6 that had a broken grille....
It was my ONLY perfect grille and i don,t even have a spare myself in my collection,the Phase 2 grille is totally different and won,t fit,also be careful if you get a complete grille as its 2 part and there are 2 different types one for headlamp washer and one without,the headlamp washer one is only on early V6 models.
Phase 1 breakers seem to be non existant at the moment i have a few people looking for me but had no luck yet,i want a few more parts to top my collection up..

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:22 am 

yup, I've been keeping any eye out on ebay and breakers sites and not a single one has come up. The couple of breakers that have been around for ages, when i have enquired i have been told there are no parts left. It's really annoying having a broken lopsided grille, a lot of cars i could get away with just removing a grille as a temporary measure but on the safrane as you will know, the grille is the whole width of the car so would look really bad without it. If i come to selling the car it's really not going to help appearances either!

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:09 pm 

They look terrible with no grill on them,they seem to break very easy and finding a spare is a pain,i do have a lead on one but they don,t have 2,but you seem to need it more than me,i will see what i can find out.
Whats your plans for the Safrane??

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:51 pm 

my plans are uncertain, i keep seeing other cars that take my fancy.... BUT my safrane is reliable and not costing me significant amounts to maintain really other than servicing it (new belts, oil change) and i had to get a new exhaust fitted when i first bought it but that's it. So i keep swaying on that decision wether to keep it or get another car, i might as well get some more use out of it while everything is working as it should??

Something tells me i'd struggle to get my money back on the safrane if i do sell it even with the new exhaust, the prang i had in it has left it with a dented front end now. It still only has 35k miles on it!

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:06 pm 

You might aswell keep it if its going well and not costing much,they are pretty worthless to be honest with only a small fanbase so demand isn,t great.
Take yours for example,the previous owner had it for sale for ages and in lots of different places but still with no takers.
How much did you pay for it in the end?
You might aswell keep it and try to smarten it up abit more and keep on top of things,or sell it as it is if you fancy something else,depends if you think you will keep hold of it.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 7:53 pm 

I paid £750 for it, and then immediately over £300 for a new exhaust as the exhaust was blowing badly, (that was the best price i could find fitted locally...) so i guess it owes me a grand.

I do regret the prang, although not structural at all, it really spoiled the look and i felt guilty doing that to such a low mileage car which wrote it off, but i did the right thing and put it through a VOSA test and have it all legal and back on the road. I just really want a replacement grill and it will almost look perfect again.

I probably will keep it for a while longer, the fact is everything works perfectly so if i bought another car it would no doubt have a host of issues to iron out seeing as i am primarily into retro / classic cars (believe it or not, this is the newest car i've ever owned!). It's not the nicest looking car i've ever owned but i'm determined to get some more miles on it before moving it on.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:07 pm 

Good on you!
Hopefully you can find a grille and sort it out i will carry on looking,persian red paint code is 777

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:09 pm 

Thanks, well if you do get one please consider me as my car really needs it wether it is for me or a future owner!