The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Talking Computer
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:38 am 

I'm hoping this forum is still active and here's my question.
Can anyone tell me where the talking computer module is located on a phase II 2.5 please?

Post subject: Re: Talking Computer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:32 pm 

Hi sorry for the delay the forum seems to randomly hide new posts for some reason. Yes we're still active here but it is slow these days - safranes are slowly being scrapped.

I think the module is under the drivers seat... SAFRANEV6RXE will have more information on it for you - he's ex renault parts but still has access to the renault parts system.

You're now free to post without moderation ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:18 pm 

Hi Avantime and welcome to the site!
As Saffles said I think its either under the drivers or passengers seat,you need to get the seat in the highest postion and I think fully forwards to see it.
Why are you wanting to get to that and tell us about what Safrane you have?
Welcome.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:33 pm 

If its a ph2 then its under the drivers seat - there is nothing under the passengers from memory.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:25 pm 

Hi guys, thanks for the welcome and the advice. I have a 1998 Safrane 2.5 Executive in gold. I've had a few of these over the years (all blue) but 18 months ago picked this one up for a song. It needed a new front exhaust pipe which I was lucky enough to source from Ebay. Other than that no real issues except the central locking stopped working so I had to fit an aftermarket system as the RF type ignition keys are no longer available. I need to get rid of the car now as the Avantimes have taken over and I need the space. If anyone here is interested I'd be happy to see it go to a good home, otherwise I'll have to look at scrapping it in which case I'd like to transplant the talking computer to an Avantime (something sadly lacking in an otherwise tech filled vehicle). Many see it as a gimmick but I've always found it useful right from when I had my R25s through to the Safranes and the Vel Satis that currently sits in my fleet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:23 am 

Interesting,thanks for at least offering the car on here,can you tell us if its roadworthy etc and how much you want for it?
Any pictures and where you are might be a taker on here before its offered elsewhere?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:59 pm 

I must admit it would be nice to know what money you want for it and what condition the tailgate is in around the handle area. Whats the mileage and where are you? Also do you still have the original keys? - the plastic cases are a pain to get hold of.

The original locking can be fixed, I've done it but there is a knack to it..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:42 pm 

There is a patch of rust around the tailgate lock area (not as bad as many I've seen) the paint is peeling from the rear spoiler as it has previously been poorly repainted and the rear wheel arches need attention. I'll have a look for the original key (only had one) the case has the button blister missing exposing the internals but new cases are available on Ebay and I have a few spares, exactly the same as Avantime.

How can the original locking be fixed? we have tried everything for the Avantimes but no luck.

As far as selling the Safrane, I'd take £250 and I'm based in Runcorn.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:29 pm 

To be honest I don't know how to fix the lockin for the safrane from an electronics perspective because it just kinda came back to life but i think theres a knack to reviving it. I've no idea about the Avantime but the safrane does have a locking system that packs up (i've known others complain of this with the RF system - the infra red is rock solid oddly). It seems that condensation up in the roof may be to blame. In the colder months (which is when ours died) the damp in the car rises up and gets trapped by the roof / windscreen / sunroof / whatever and then sits there as condensation - quite large drops in some places too (there are several places where seals perish - I found 3 leaks in ours). In the roof above the sunroof (and other) switches this isn't a good thing as the water can drip down onto the completely unprotected RF receiver. Naturally electronics and water don't mix and this seems to put an end to the RF locking.

Now I don't know if this is key to fixing it or not but ours went off road for a few months and just sat there with the battery disconnected so this may or may not be part of it but one hot summers day i reconnected it and after having it running for a few mins, turned it off. Clicking the key out of habit the car locked with me inside it - I was a bit shocked but there you go. Repeated presses of the fob saw the locks un/lock successfully every time. I've since taken the roof panel of switches down and covered the circuitry over with plastic, wound insulating tape around the wiring into the switches (or you can get water dripping in there and unlocking the car - also setting off the alarm) and its been dandy since. I had tried overnight battery disconnects previously and they failed to reset it so you'd probably be wasting your time doing that.

My theoretical cure is don't strip out the original receiver from the roof (unless to dry it in the house overnight etc). Get it dry, get the cabin dry (check under the carpet at the front for water - if you find any, use WOODEN cat litter pellets from asda to absorb it and dry it and then vacuum out) and keep the car battery disconnected for as long as you possibly can. Once you've done all that, try it again - reconnect and see if the car will sync to the fob. IF you're lucky it will. Thats how I accidentally did it, I may be missing something (eg perhaps letting the receiver drain down of electric charge performs a memory reset) but thats all i can recommend to you. Having known of other RF safranes that have had this problem and the owners accepting its dead, don't give up, it can come back to life I know from personal experience.

As for the key plastic cases, i've looked on ebay but there are two types that look identical for the safrane and the battery positions are totally different. None of the sellers i contacted would confirm which they would send me so i never risked it as they're not cheap!

Shame to hear about the rust on the tailgate, ours never had any round the handle but had a very slow patch about 6 inches away that was bubbling up under the paint. It's been off road for years and so the hole for the rear wiper was the next natural target for the tin worm to set in - its now covered in wax to protect it for as long as possible but i do need to find another tailgate or get this one repaired but thats tricky due to the frame inside it being in the way.

Sorry i can't go to your asking price, i am really looking for a cheap runner that i can take the engine from (don't ask, long story). I did have one offered to me previously for £150 (inc delivery - total bargain - regret being forced to say no) but the missus went mental so that went to scrap - gutted. Now our safrane is still sat there and still not fixed i think she's a bit more understanding that i need to just "get it done". She also softened up a bit when i told her the local metal collectors said i could strip it in their yard instead of here... Oh wells. The only other thing i can try is swapping the wiring looms as the one in there at the moment is for a 97 and they have differing part numbers.. pain to do though - the wiring loom is actually worse to remove than the engine and autobox.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:11 pm 

Powerhouse wrote:
Hi avantime, am new in this forum to. But I will like to buy your safrane. The only challenge is if you will keep it for me till DEC. Secondly , if you will help me cheap it to my country. I will pay for the shipping cost. Am in Nigeria. Email me on [Removed] . let's talk me. Thamks

I don't think so.. not on this forum.