The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:01 pm 

Thought it best to start a new thread but thanks for the responses on the Welcome page.
SAFRANEV6RXE - Thank you for your comments so far.
Yes, it is the ebay / gumtree / cars and classics example.
I was not aware that the rear spoiler and wheeltrims were wrong. I actually thought the wheels were alloys from photos but sadly not. Will have to search out the correct replacements. I wonder where the rear spoiler came from?
Regarding age - looks like this is an early example if not quite the earliest. Already I have learnt some interesting facts here on the forum regarding specs.
I remember 2 bosses at work had R25s and one upgraded to an early Safrane soon after launch. I remember his complaints when the aircon failed and he had no sunroof either. I am sure that car did not survive through time.
I do not have any brochures but a couple of downloads and a pricelist! A brochure is on my (ever growing) list of things to get.
As to plans - well, undecided at the moment but it would be good to be a keeper. Been away from Renault for a while but have previously had 18TS, 18GTS, 19TXE, 19 Biarritz D, 21 Turbo D, 21GTD, 21 Savannah, 11TXE, 10 (yes, 1968 rear engine!) amongst others. First memorable Renault experience was my Dad's 30TS on a v-reg which left a huge impression on me (and on the garage door when the handbrake failed first night home!). To be fair, that was the most unreliable Friday Afternoon car we ever had but it was also the most awesome machine!
Sorry, lots of waffle - Safrane is car no.3 for me at the moment and bought purely on a whim as an interesting, comfy alternative to my daily drive. Now I have it, I think its lovely in its own way - slightly the worse for wear after 23 years but it has SURVIVED this far. So, it will have an easy life for now and if the weather ever improves a thorough valet and work through a list of jobs to get onto.
In the meantime, it is great that there are at least a few more misguided souls like me that can appreciate an elderly, rare odd choice of car!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:01 pm 

Great reading,looks like you have had an interesting Renault history and some nice and rare examples you have owned.
The hubcaps look like Laguna 2 items,the originals look like this..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RENAULT-SAFRA ... SwnipWXaN7

Go ahead with any issues or questions and we will try and help as much as we can...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:21 pm 

Thanks for the link - what chance of finding the correct wheel trims anywhere I wonder?
My main gripe so far is the instrument cluster which has lost a lot of the black background. It appears to have been painted back on in places and the left hand side of the rev counter has the figures in Tippex! I need to track down a breaker for a replacement at some point. But, I can live with it for the moment.
Are there any breaker cars known to members? Are any parts available still through Renault or is that a silly question after all these years!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:06 pm 

Finding the original wheeltrims will be hard,but not impossible,you may have to search e-bay France though,make sure you get the right size.
Post a pic of the instrument panel as I might be able to help.Breakers are now very rare as the Safrane wasn,t a big seller in the U.K and very few Phase 1 still exist,i broke several V6 examples over the years but all were past saving or on they way to being scrapped.
I worked for Renault for over 20 years and it later years Safrane parts dried up in the U.K and in most cases the parts went back ordered and had to come from France or not at all.
I can,t work out what rear spoiler that is aswell,can you post a clearer pic of that,its not a standard spoiler and I don,t think its the Renault accessory one either.