The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:44 am 

Got a bit of an issue with my car currently (2.5 20v). It generally runs fine but just recently has a slight misfire at idle. It also idles at much higher revs on start up (about 1700rpm) and doesn't settle until you go for a drive and even then doesn't always settle where it should. It used to start at 1100-1200 rpm and very quickly settle at 8-900rpm. Could this all be pointing towards a faulty Air idle control valve? Anyone had these issues?

Cheers guys

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:39 am 

I don't think it would be the ICV since (AFAIK) it would only open up to around 1200rpm... but i could be wrong. The MAF sensor might however be playing up - but thats an expensive one to trial and error with unless you can find a second hand one. The MAF is plugged into the air filter housing towards the top if memory serves (sorry - been a long time since i've looked!).

I'd try cleaning / changing the air filter, checking the dizzy is intact (though this caused irratic and slower idling with me when it had cracked up - plus in the dark you could see it sparking all over the place internally).

I don't suppose you know how much current your car draws with the ignition off? I'm having a problem starting and i'm not sure if its drawing too much current and gradually draining the battery of if the water in the oil is corroding things super fast and stiffening up the engine... but something is giving me hassle. Mind you.. gotta switch that engine out anyway (HG failure).