The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Engine problem
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:53 pm 

Hi all

Had a look at the safrane today and found the coolant tank empty. Oil in the engine is liquid mud so I have a head breach of some sort. Probably the gasket but having over heated it's possible that the alloy head is knackered.

So it looks like a big job. I've put a lot of work into this car recently so I don't want to give up but have a difficult choice.

I can try to repair this engine or replace it. I've put a lot of work into the current engine but it's not looking hopeful and means writing off my efforts on it. If I replace the engine it's a higher mileage unit but known to run. The problem here is the physical side of it.

What would you guys do?

Post subject: Re: Engine problem
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:40 pm 

Difficult one...
You have tried your best with that engine but it seems like it has more issues,maybe do what you can with the other engine i.e cambelt change etc and change it with the one in the car if you think its more reliable and has less issues.They are strong engines so i doubt the mileage will affect it much if you know its history.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:12 pm 

It's history was one of neglect, a blocked breather system (and probably still blocked in the sump) but it was reliable once i changed all the pipe works.

The problems i'm seeing are that it's a pig of a job to do - although i do now have a flat drive, the parking is shared residential. I can't see the neighbours being too happy about me pulling a car to bits there lol. That said if i do it in front of the garage...

The current engine i've put a lot of work into but it's just gone constantly bloody wrong. It's been a proper pain in every sense of the word yet it's only got 90k miles on it. I am really pissed off about it and have spent a fortune on that engine only for this to flaming happen.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:22 pm 

you can always transfer most of new bits from your engine to the one you buy. if i were closer i would donate you the one from my spares car. maybe you should consider turbo conversion, while at it :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:12 pm 

I have a spare engine, it's sat in the garage on a trolley but it's the physical effort of replacing it that I will have trouble with.

I will check with a mechanic to see how much a gasket repair will cost..