The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 5:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Safrane diagnostic
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:32 pm 

Hi!

I recently bought Safrane 2, 1997, 2.5 petrol car with ABS and airbag warning lights on.
I found 16-pin OBD connector under the armrest and bought ELM 327 diagnostic reader to check for errors but the problem is that i only can see engine ECU with all softwares i tried, airbab,abs,imobilizer or ac not.
What can be the problem? i can't find any info on the internet, tried to change airbag ecu but light is still on and diagnostic don't list ecu still... checked fuses, everything seems ok...

Regards!

Post subject: Re: Safrane diagnostic
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:43 pm 

Dumb question..

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a minute or two and then reconnecting? - On these cars (pre flash memory) that tends to wipe out any error codes detected. Be sure you know the radio code first!

Renault also had their own computer system called CLIP that they used with a lot of cars including the safrane. Now I know that some of it can be done by OBD2 but I think CLIP still does a lot of the functions on the car too. Another safrane friend (not a member here) said that CLIP was so advanced it could even read out the seat profile settings and reprogram them / transfer them to another safrane and that many dealers did not even know about these features. It's possible that your problems may require a CLIP computer to resolve them and these are becoming incredibly rare though some places still have them specifically for the older models.

Oh.. and welcome to the forum ;) (oh and you're now out of moderation so can post freely)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:50 pm 

Saffles wrote:
Dumb question..

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a minute or two and then reconnecting? - On these cars (pre flash memory) that tends to wipe out any error codes detected. Be sure you know the radio code first!

Oh.. and welcome to the forum ;) (oh and you're now out of moderation so can post freely)

Thank You very much! :)

I tried to disconnect battery, it doesn't help, warning lights are still on and i can't see any unit with diagnostic, only engine ecu. When i remove ABS fuse ABS warning light is still on?

Regards!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:56 pm 

I would say it has a airbag connector issue mostly on modern Renaults its the connector under the passengers seat.
The ABS light i would say could be an ABS sensor,the airbag light maybe the rotary switch aswell.
Give us some pics and a writeup on your car!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:09 pm 

SAFRANEV6RXE wrote:
I would say it has a airbag connector issue mostly on modern Renaults its the connector under the passengers seat.
The ABS light i would say could be an ABS sensor,the airbag light maybe the rotary switch aswell.
Give us some pics and a writeup on your car!

I saw under the passenger and driver seat light blue connectors with a two wires, they are not connected? i don't have where to connect them.
I will take some photos of a car in next few days, it's standard version Safrane 2.5 with volvo petrol engine, duar zone air conditioner, abs, two airbags, imobilizer, heated mirors... i bought it very cheap, it needs some bodywork and regular service to maintain....

Regards!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:15 pm 

Hmmm that could be them but SAFFLES would know more about a Phase 2 i,am a Phase 1 man.
Be nice to see some pics and a list of jobs you need to do.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:32 pm 

SAFRANEV6RXE wrote:
Hmmm that could be them but SAFFLES would know more about a Phase 2 i,am a Phase 1 man.
Be nice to see some pics and a list of jobs you need to do.

I will publish a pictures quickly! list of jobs is very long.... :D for the beggining i want to solve problems with airbag and ABS, do some bodywork, maybe to change front bumper, somebody break it! the interior need some serious washing too, for now i only changed light bulbs on the instrument panel :D twelve was burned...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:08 pm 

dejaan wrote:
I saw under the passenger and driver seat light blue connectors with a two wires, they are not connected? i don't have where to connect them.
I will take some photos of a car in next few days, it's standard version Safrane 2.5 with volvo petrol engine, duar zone air conditioner, abs, two airbags, imobilizer, heated mirors... i bought it very cheap, it needs some bodywork and regular service to maintain....

I need photos of your seats and the underneath of the seats to be able to help. I'm assuming you have electric seats?

Also you have four airbags. One in the steering wheel, second in front of the passenger and then one on the side of the front seats for side impact protection.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:23 pm 

dejaan wrote:
I tried to disconnect battery, it doesn't help, warning lights are still on and i can't see any unit with diagnostic, only engine ecu. When i remove ABS fuse ABS warning light is still on?

Sorry I can't believe I missed this bit..

The ABS light will stay on when you pull the power to it. I had another safrane years ago that the previous owner had an override switch fitted to for his ABS on the cowelling around the steering column. The switch was an on/off switch for the ABS. Apparently he had trouble getting up his drive when it snowed due to the ABS (no idea how that worked seeing as it's a braking system lol) and had it fitted. Anyway when I used to randomly switch it off the ABS light would turn itself on so this IS the correct behaviour for your car - it's a warning that the ABS computer has failed / been deactivated.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:06 pm 

Hello Friends!

Sorry for such a long delay :( i was in half of some bussiness project and i didn't had much time to work on the car...
I managed to fix ABS probem, it was damaged wire on the rear left wheel sensor, so it works now.
For the airbags, i succesfully contacted previous owner and he told me that he changed front and back leather seats because they were worned, and he told me that there was no airbags in them? maybe he lied i don't know, he is very strange... xD
Seatbelt indicator on the dashboard isn't working too, i don't see any cables to go to seatbelts fastener, is this ok? maybe this model doesn't have seatbelt indication.

I attached pictures with cables that are under the front seats...

http://postimg.org/image/kljw0n7r7/
http://postimg.org/image/9rnxnc2vv/

Regards!