The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 6:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Jacking points
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:18 am 

Hey gang!

The safrane has 4 jacking points - round things underneath the sil by each wheel.

I recently acquired a bottle jack (ok not as sturdy as a trolley jack but more compact and easier to move about!). It's a 4t and a bit too tall... but i think the main piston would fit inside the round jacking points.

My real problem though.. is the inside of the jacking point strong enough to hold the car up / jack out or is it not reinforced?

Also any ideas of the jacking points can be replaced? - these are incredibly rusty... and while i got the subframes and shocks derusted the sils and jacking points are still waiting for some love!

Saffles

Post subject: Re: Jacking points
PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:30 am 

No i wouldn,t jack it up using the inside of the jacking points(round hole)you will end up bending or damaging the inside of that area.
Renault actually made custom made jacking blocks that go over that hole and come out over the outer sill lips at the bottom,about 6-8 inches long and different front to rear.
As for the jacking points they will be N/A for sure from Renault.
The blocks have a round hole cut into them(for the jacking hole)and a slit for the outer sill edge,very clever.

Post subject: Re: Jacking points
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:04 am 

I jacked the rear right corner up to change the fuel filter. Obviously i wanted to put a stand there too in case the jack fails. Well, there aren't many good places to put it when the jack is already taking the jacking point but i found something i though was a visible part of some frame in front of the fuel tank. Don't have a picture but it was around 4cm wide longitudinal piece with 2 holes, around 12cm long. I put a stand under it and came out of the car to lower the jack to get the weight of the car on the stand.

My jack is a bit sensitive to release and it went down fast and so went the whole damn car! The "frame" was but a piece of thin steel and the stand went right through it. Luckily there was enough free space above it and the stand didn't break anything inside.

Just made me thought that my kid is a lucky guy to still have a father. What if it had gave up a bit later after i would have been under the car... :cry:

That's the reason i always use at least one stand when jacking the car and always let the full weight on the stand to see that it holds.