The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:39 pm 

Thats handy to know!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:57 am 

I drove the Safrane to work this morning. I haven't driven it in almost 4 months and damn it feels good :)

But the ABS haunts me, i have a new ABS unit but looks like i have to replace all the brake lines since they're so badly stuck in the old unit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:35 am 

I think we had this conversation before or it was kapten I can't remember lol ..
Get some flare spanners, they don't look much different to normal spanners but they do an incredible job on brake line unions

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:13 pm 

Yes we had, and i have those but they don't help. I mean the pipes are really stuck. I'll take some pics to assure you of it when i have them visible again...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:02 am 

Have the unions become rounded? That shouldn't happen unless you tried with normal spanners first?

If you do need to replace your brake lines that is a massive job as they run behind the engine in a very complex pattern. It's a bodge but in this case your best bet would be to make short sections of pipe and attach those to the existing pipes and the new pump.

Your biggest problem will be the new pump as it will be full of air instead of brake fluid. You will need to get it cycled by the xr25 I think.

I have removed brake lines from the pump but I did so after cutting through the brake line and removing the pump - not with it all in the car.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:40 am 

Yes, they are rounded. But the unions are corroded so badly i doubt they could have been removed anyway. The whole old pump is a corroded mess... It is well hidden behind the bumper, but our winter conditions with road salt are quite bad for cars...

I know replacing the lines is a hell of a job, but here in Finland it's not legal to add any extra joints to brake lines. I am still thinking about the possibility of doing just that... Or maybe cutting the original pipes as little as i can and then making new ends to them and make them fit somehow... But those are steel pipes and i don't have the tool to press the ends.

I have the CLiP and IIRC there is an option for bleeding the ABS unit so that wouldn't be a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:52 am 

Could anyo ne tell the size of the brake lines straight away?

3/16" ?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:59 pm 

Size of the metal tubing? No idea.

I just bought a roll of copper brake line from Halfords (UK motoring chain store) and used that. I have no idea of the size though (sorry)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:07 am 

I can easily find extension pieces for 3/16" only, if it's that i can use those...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:58 pm 

This is the stuff I used from Halfords:
http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/ ... 0wodeYEKlw

It does indeed say 3/16.

At the time I bought it they had also screwed up with their union supplies. The male union packets contained female unions.. and they had no other male unions in store. I was cheeky and asked if I could have a male box of female unions at a reduced price.. the woman clicked some things and pressed some keys on her system and said "put them in your pocket, I've just written a packet off on the system" - £6.50 worth of unions for free! Went back a couple of days later and they had the correct male unions..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next