The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:49 pm 

teuski wrote:
I also SMS'd a previous owner of my Saf and asked if i could call him about the car. The guy i bought it from had it for only a few days but the one before that had it for over 8 years. He has had the car inspected in november, and i'd like to know if the ABS was working back then. I hope he knows what might be the problem with it...

I called him and he told the ABS hadn't been working. The inspector hadn't noticed it because the fault light bulbs were dead and he had disconnected the onboard computer speaker so there would be no error message if the inspector somehow got the idea to press the rep button. He said there had been a fault code about front left solenoid but he had still changed the wheel sensor.

As i mentioned earlier, the sensor i removed had 1,5kOhm while others had 1,0kOhm. The new one i put in had a different part number (as per seller) than my local Renault shop told me by my car's VIN number. My car is a '96 and the sensor i bought was from a '97.I didn't measure it back then, but i have to do it now. Maybe there are two different kinds of sensors and the 1,5kOhm is OK for that sensor.
Of course the fault code had meen about solenoid, but from my experince i've learned to be a bit critical about the specifics... Maybe there's some translation error somewhere or something...

He also mentioned that many years back he had had a problem with fuel pump power supply. He said he had the changed the ECU because of it but thw problem persisted. He had connected direct supply to it so that it's always on. I haven't noticed the sound but i guess i'll have to look into it. I have the Dialogys installed but haven't had time to take a look at it yet.

He also told me he now has a '00 V6 Safrane. We agreed to keep in touch if there's any issues with our Safranes :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:31 pm 

Why would he change the ECU because of the fuel pumps power supply? - Sounds strange!

I suppose the ECU maybe activates the power for it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:39 pm 

Kapetan Zec wrote:
it was me who mentioned it

No, I vaguely recall me and SAFRANEV6RXE talking about this in the past by email. It was him or someone else.. but this has come up in previous years.

Kapetan Zec wrote:
I was too excited about the car

We've had ours 7 or 8 years.. it's been off the road for the last five... but even now it still gets me excited - even with the faults that i still can't decide how to fix. Oh and before you worry, our safrane was incredibly reliable until i took out the engine (with zero knowledge lol) so please don't be worried by me talking about faults etc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:20 am 

Saffles wrote:
Why would he change the ECU because of the fuel pumps power supply? - Sounds strange!

I suppose the ECU maybe activates the power for it?

I'm pretty sure that the ECU controls the pump too, and might be reasonable to try changing it as one option. Evidently he had concluded that the pump itself was ok.
On the other hand he said it a bit vaguely and made me think that maybe he had changed something else, a relay maybe...

I have dreams of CLIP solving this all for me :)

If the ABS fault doesn't go away by disconnecting the battery, I'll check if my new sensor still has different resistance than the others. Then it must be a wrong kind of sensor.
If it's 1kOhm too, i guess i'll take the ABS unit out and see if there's something i can do.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:51 am 

From what I have seen so far, '96 ph2 has its differences from later model years.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:43 am 

I stashed my Saf inside to wait for summer. There have been no problems with it in the winter, but there's no point in paying taxes & insurance for 3 vehicles while there's two of us driving them. Although the mrs. hasn't even tried the Saf yet...

It's keeping around -12 to -20 here now and there's about 20cm of snow and more coming all the time :)

Here's my to-do list before the summer:
-Sort out the ABS problem
-Take out the driver's seat and weld the broken part
-New rear passenger air vent
-Fix the indicator stalk return thingy
-Clean and oil the locks and adjust door handles
-Sort out the fuel pump power supply. Anyone got schematics for the 2.5?

I bought a cheap used CLIP last week and it should arrive tomorrow. The guy who sold it had had problems with it. He hasn't been able to connect to any car, but the device managed to read the VIN so it's not completely broken. I guess he made an error installing the software or there's some other trick to do. My Lexia for PSA cars needs to have the USB unplugged for a while after it has queried the VIN to proceed, otherwise it will give an error. Maybe there's a similar thing... I agreed to pay 50€ incl. postage so it's worth a try since new ones begin from 100€ excluding postage...

A Safrane appeared for sale here in Finland, which is a rare occasion. It's a '00 2.2 diesel manual with a whopping 490 000km on it.
The seller says it's the only diesel Safrane in Finland but i can't say if it's really true. There's a big annual tax for diesel cars here while the fuel itself is a bit cheaper than petrol.
To make driving a diesel car reasonable you have to drive a lot and that's why most older diesel cars here have mileage like that :) Almost all of the taxis here are diesels too...

He says the trim level is "Fiji", whatever that means. Maybe those damn ugly matte black painted bumpers and sides :D There's no pics of the interior. It has shocks, heater blower and matrix, radiator and alternator changed recently, but the price is still 3800€. Whoa! Maybe half of that would be reasonable if it really is a good example. But no-one in Finland really wants a big,weird Renault with no local support whatsoever, especially with a diesel engine so that's pretty hopeless...
http://www.nettiauto.com/en/renault/safrane/7765561

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:52 am 

teuski wrote:
Although the mrs. hasn't even tried the Saf yet...

Word of advice: Don't let her!!!! ;)

Keep that as your personal toy! My missus used to drive one of our other safranes, i used to trust her with it until i one day found out that she had backed one of them into a wall very hard... and didn't tell me until after it had been scrapped and taken off for metal - so much for honesty :rolleyes: Admittedly the bumper never showed any damage but thats besides the point... she didn't tell me!

teuski wrote:
-Sort out the fuel pump power supply. Anyone got schematics for the 2.5?

I will have a look.. The problem is that we have moved house since i've last seen my big safrane book full of electrical stuff... i have no idea where it is now but i will try to find it for you and see if i can find anything (it's not an easy book to understand).

teuski wrote:
I bought a cheap used CLIP

I still need to find one of those...

teuski wrote:
It's a '00 2.2 diesel manual with a whopping 490 000km on it.

Even though thats a renault engine, it's not a suprising mileage for a ph2 safrane. Renault made very good engines for the safrane and they are able to live just as long as the volvo units in the 2 and 2.5L. About 4 years ago there was a safrane on ebay that was a 2.5L... one owner and 450k Miles on the clock.

teuski wrote:
He says the trim level is "Fiji", whatever that means.

Years ago i did find a Fiji safrane on ebay and there were quite a lot of photos of it but i cannot remember anything about it now. The photos were either on safrane.org, google images or renaultsafrane.pl which is now offline.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:08 am 

Wow, 2 more Saf's have appeared to be for sale here in Finland. Both of them are ph 2's,a green '96 and a blue '97. They seem pretty similar, basic models.

I got the CLIP but haven't had time to try it out yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:56 pm 

Let us know how that goes when you do try it. I'm curious because CLIP seems to be suggesting it can work with the safrane yet the manual clearly states XR25.

I'm curious about just how much CLIP can do for the safrane..

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:52 am 

http://www.retro-renault.com/forums/general-chat/17981-pc-based-xr25-usb-cables.html
At least this one doesn't have a OBD connector and it states "for pre-OBD cars".
At least my car has a 16-pin OBD connector and it does communicate with ELM327 OBD reader.

We'll see...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next