The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 7:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Brakes
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:14 am 

Hi Guys!

I've had to disconnect the brakes as the long brake line to one of the back wheels was so corroded that it started leaking when i took the subframe off.

So.. I've made new brake lines and fitted them all etc. Today we refilled and bled the brakes.. but when we had finished and I started the engine, the brake pedal went to the floor :rolleyes:

I've no idea what is causing this. Does this ABS pump have to be cycled / pumped by computer to remove air on this car? (2.5 20v volvo ph2)

I've checked the brake lines, they are not leaking and my bleed valves are all tight so I am confused. I did have to take one caliper away for repair though (valve broke) and then refit it so this is the second time it has been bled and I am wondering if there may be air trapped higher up the brake line? (The first time it took about 5 minutes to pump fluid down to the rear caliper but today I got air quite quickly so maybe there is still air?).

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Brakes
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:43 am 

I,ve asked about and they have suggested gravity bleeding and seeing what happens and working from the furthest away back to the master cylinder.
Having the system totally empty is then difficult to rebleed with the ABS pump empty.

Post subject: Re: Brakes
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:12 am 

Well unfortunately I had to remove the front passenger side caliper for repair - and the fluid was able to drip out into a tray via the brake line. This is after the rear brake line broke and I had to replace both sides - so I think we can safely assume that the system totally emptied itself.

So what is the hack here? How would a back street garage get around this?