The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 7:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: temp sensor locaion
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:51 am 

Does anyone know roughly where this would be located in a phase 1 engine? I can see a couple of contenders that both look like the temp sensor but i want to replace the correct one!

Post subject: Re: temp sensor locaion
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:34 pm 

Looking at the picture at work it appears to be in the thermostat cover,it looks like there are 3 sensors in there,and i THINK its the middle one of the 3,one is white and is the injection one,the other does the temp light and the middle one looks like it controls the actual gauge,part number is 7700809909 if it helps?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:14 am 

Ph1 or 2?

No idea about ph1 but the ph2 volvo lumps have two sensors.

One is in / under the thermostat, the other is on the side of the block above the gearbox and has a connector towards the back of the engine.

Depends which one you are replacing and why too. The one above the gearbox (from memory) provides the dashboard with the temp gauge data and also supplies the climate control panel. The other one in the thermostat housing (again from memory) supplies the ECU with the engine temperature in order to activate the cooling fans.

If both work but you get no fans its an ECU problem I think - which is what i'm having hassle with now and in the process of building an arduino controller to hack around...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:45 am 

It's a phase 1 and i guess it's the one that would be witin the thermostat housing. I was hoping it would be easier to get to lol.

engine is running lumpy for the first min or so on startup but once engine is warm it is fine, i suspect it is sending a false signal to the ecu and feeding the wrong mixture, or at least i have read a failed temp sensor is a common problem for these symptoms so i thought i'd start with this.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:27 pm 

The switch i told you about is for the temp gauge not the ECU,that is the white one from memory.