The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: My safrane
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:22 am 

Kapetan Zec wrote:
I have a master degree in power engineering

And you're asking us for help? :shocked:

Any chance you're coming to the UK soon? My ECU needs fixing!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:52 am 

I wondered if there is an easy fix. Electronics generally are not my field, and I don't have much experience with car electronics. I can't even find electrical schemes for my model (I've found one manual in French, but it's low quality scan and some parts are hard to read). My previous cars altogether had less electronics than safrane's drivers door :shocked:

It turned out it is the alternator in the end, so today I will take it to someone qualified. I thought about changing only the brushes, but since I plan on having this car for at least 5 years, it is smarter to have it properly rebuilt.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:25 pm 

Kapetan Zec wrote:
I've found one manual in French, but it's low quality scan and some parts are hard to read

Unfortunately even the english manual just like that - hard to read and looks like it went through a copier 30-40 times.

I'm shocked really because this was Renaults most expensive model once... and they had the worst support for it ever :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:02 am 

quite typical for french car industry. high class models always fail on the market and vanish from the streets before their german peers, not because they are bad cars or there is no interest, but because they make them different and quirky, and then they don't provide spare parts (or they are far too expensive) and education/literature for service staff.

regarding the alternator - car is in the workshop since yesterday, rotor was wasted. it should be finished today.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:47 am 

Also, the electrician said that high idle is caused by ECU not getting normal voltage levels, so it works in some kind of safe mode.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:00 am 

Safe mode on these cars is usually a very low idle and two fans at full speed.... (protection against overheating).

I have a hunch something else might be going on... have you checked the air pipes around your MAF sensor are not leaking?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:58 pm 

I picked up the car today and it behaves completely normal. I will observe what happens in next few days. I guess when voltage is not right there is no danger of overheating, fans would just drain the battery out. Probably the mechanism for triggering the safe mode is different. Your description makes sense if some of the sensors are giving out wrong readings or something like that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:37 am 

car is still behaving completely normal, so it was probably due to alternator after all.
now, I tried to change my philips cassette player from ph2 with double din philips from ph1. as you can see, the arrangement of pins for display is different, but that shouldn't be the problem. also I had to modify the jack for ground wire. what really bothers me is that I've read that ph1 stereo has 10 pin connector for steering wheel controls, while my controls have 8 pin connector, and 10 pin connector on ph2 radio is intended for cd changer. I have no clue what is the purpose of 8 pin connector on ph1 radio then. I will try to connect it all today, maybe it will work.

after that I started on the ventilation system, but it got dark so I left it for today. ofcourse the tube was shot. I will try to find replacement solution, I don't like clamps and duct tape. maybe cardboard tubes in same dimension.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:09 am 

Heh your cabin is in far better condition than ours!

Our safrane ... oh my god.. it's been such a pain and i have bits and pieces of it everywhere! The centre arm rest is in the boot at this moment in time.. though I did get the seats bolted back in last week..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:43 am 

If I had a garage I would probably be in the same situation :rolleyes: Working on the parking lot makes limits me from making too big mess. It will be great fun to put it all back together after I forget what went where and in which order :cool:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next