The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 4:21 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: My safrane
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:17 am 

The wood on a phase 1 is real wood but not very thick!,its all held on with small bolts but has to have all the doorcards removed to replace.
On a Phase 1 V6 cloth was standard but leather an option,i will have to dig out a Phase 2 brochure and have a read up about that,i,am sure RXE had leather as standard but unsure of the cloth option,will do some digging about that....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:19 pm 

so I guess its something like on Citroen XM ph1 with wooden inserts?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:44 am 

Got new plates:
Went to breakers yard this weekend and surprisingly found 2 safranes there! Whats even more surprising is one of them was V6 Quadra with pneumatic suspension :cry:
Second one was 2.2 Si in same color as mine. I'm thinking about taking all 4 doors, mine are slightly rusty at the bottom, and these are as good as new. Also I got myself boot spoiler, rear right door handle and Phillips double DIN stereo with CD and matching display. Unfortunately I don't have a code for it, so if any of you has a clue how to get it, please let me know. I took a picture of chassis number, I guess it could help.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:07 am 

Also I have a few problems and questions again:
1. Ventilation - yesterday it took 40-50 minutes to demist the windscreen. Side windows were misty for the whole trip. I've noticed in manual mode that after I set the fan to full speed it works like that for a few minutes, and then it automatically slows down (although it is still set to full speed). Anyone knows what could be the problem?

2. When I look closely I can see thin zig-zag lines in the windscreen, something like this:
That tells me that my car was originally equipped with heated windscreen, but now there is no ELEC button on the control panel. I guess the whole A/C control panel was changed sometimes in the past. The cars in the breakers yard are both equipped with heated windscreen (they are ph1, but I guess that's not a problem). How hard is it to replace the whole panel? Would replacing it also cure my ventilation problem, or is the fan module located somewhere else? Also, in front of the driver the windscreen has white "mist" around the edges, like it started delaminating or degrading in some other way, I'm not sure. Does that mean windscreen heater will not work, or will work only partially?

3. Car is very sensitive to road inclination. If the road is even slightly inclined to one side, the car is pulling to that side. It gets annoying and unpleasant after a while. I took the car to track adjustment, but they said everything is like it should be. Laguna wheels are the same specs as original safrane wheels. Suspension is ok, there is no worn out parts or anything. Any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:48 pm 

I would love to get my hands on them 2 Phase 1 cars to get a few bits from,maybe if i think of anything i would like you could maybe ask how much for me?
That 2.2 appears to be loaded with goodies aswell being an RXE model,did it have an incar phone fitted?
As for your questions,do you have ANY signs of water getting into the car anywhere?,through the roof/aerial,door speakers etc,or are the rear footwells wet,you need to feel under the front carpets as they are plastic backed and you wont feel any wet on the outer carpet side but on the rear of the carpet it can be wet,Saffles had a terrible issue tracking down a water leak into the car.
Ther zig zags are for a heated screen,its the elements to heat the screen,if you remove the scuttle trims under the wiper arms,it would be well worth doing this as the drain holes might have lots of leaves etc in there,you can grease the wiper linkages and there should be a large plug connector in the middle of the base of the windscreen,this is the heated screen connector for the elements,see if you have that and the plug is connected to wiring going into the car,there should also be 2 earth straps that come from the very lower cormers of the screen and bolt to the body near the bonnet hinges with 10mm bolts.
The white around the edge is water that has got in the layers of the glass and caused it to go milky,alot of insurance companys should cover that.
If you don,t have the heated screen button on the climate panel then i THINK the one out of the 2.2 or the V6 should be OK,although the buttons and digital display are different on a Phase 2 from memory in appearance,but not 100% sure...
To remove the panel there are 4 small torx screws,look at the display and directly above are 2,then close the flap to cover the buttons and the other 2 are there,remove it and you will see the small turbine fan,unclip it and give it a good clean out as it will be dusty and dirty.
The actual heater motor in in the passengers footwell,under a felt cover(if still there)undo the torx screws and remove,check the connector isn,t melted and give the motor a clean out,again leaves will be in there and maybe a length of plastic from the heater box,again a common issue and covered by Saffles and A610 i think,worth doing.
Not sure what to suggest with the steering,tracking would be my first idea,but you have covered that,make sure the tyre pressures are spot on etc.
Can you get some more pics of the V6 inside/engine bay etc??

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:12 pm 

Kapetan Zec wrote:
Also I have a few problems and questions again:
1. Ventilation - yesterday it took 40-50 minutes to demist the windscreen. Side windows were misty for the whole trip. I've noticed in manual mode that after I set the fan to full speed it works like that for a few minutes, and then it automatically slows down (although it is still set to full speed). Anyone knows what could be the problem?

You have damp / water inside the car somewhere. Check under the carpets at the front of the car. Mine had the same problem - see my restoration topic in the problems and fixes forum. There was a wiring loom leaking behind the wheel and the water was running down the wires directly into the carpet. It took me months to get it all sorted but now it's dry as a bone... or at least it was the last time i checked! I need to check that today...

Kapetan Zec wrote:
2. When I look closely I can see thin zig-zag lines in the windscreen, something like this:
That tells me that my car was originally equipped with heated windscreen, but now there is no ELEC button on the control panel. I guess the whole A/C control panel was changed sometimes in the past. The cars in the breakers yard are both equipped with heated windscreen (they are ph1, but I guess that's not a problem). How hard is it to replace the whole panel? Would replacing it also cure my ventilation problem, or is the fan module located somewhere else? Also, in front of the driver the windscreen has white "mist" around the edges, like it started delaminating or degrading in some other way, I'm not sure. Does that mean windscreen heater will not work, or will work only partially?

It could be that you have an electric windscreen fitted to a car that never originally had it but I would try the climate panel with the elec button first. It's easy to replace it. Under the buttons at the bottom (where the sliding cover is) there are two small philips screws. Undo those and it pulls forward. There might be two above the display also.. i can't remember. Anyway then you just unplug a few wires and swap the units.

This won't affect your windscreen condensation problem though - you have water in the car. When the air pressure drops at night, the water in the carpet and air is able to expand and rise upwards. It then meets your glass windscreen and becomes trapped as condensation.

As for your fan slowing down, I have had this but can't remember if its intentional or not. I know the climate panels sometimes become confused about being in manual or auto mode so you should keep that in mind. Also grab spare climate panels from ebay as they do go wrong and are very expensive to buy new or get fixed!

Kapetan Zec wrote:
3. Car is very sensitive to road inclination. If the road is even slightly inclined to one side, the car is pulling to that side. It gets annoying and unpleasant after a while. I took the car to track adjustment, but they said everything is like it should be. Laguna wheels are the same specs as original safrane wheels. Suspension is ok, there is no worn out parts or anything. Any ideas?

I've always had similar with my safrane but i think it's the length of the car. Because it's very long and the steering is very light the road inclination has more leverage on the car and can move it easier. The tracking on these cars isn't normally a big problem - they rarely need tracking adjustments and the wishbones and bushes are normally good quality BUT they can deteriorate so inspect your wishbones and ball joints for signs of damage.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:14 pm 

SAFRANEV6RXE wrote:
I would love to get my hands on them 2 Phase 1 cars to get a few bits from

I know the feeling! I'm still after the suspension setup ;) .. though in fairness i'm not quite ready for it yet.. need to get the car back together and on the road before i can think about fitting that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:00 am 

SAFRANEV6RXE wrote:
I would love to get my hands on them 2 Phase 1 cars to get a few bits from,maybe if i think of anything i would like you could maybe ask how much for me?
That 2.2 appears to be loaded with goodies aswell being an RXE model,did it have an incar phone fitted?
As for your questions,do you have ANY signs of water getting into the car anywhere?,through the roof/aerial,door speakers etc,or are the rear footwells wet,you need to feel under the front carpets as they are plastic backed and you wont feel any wet on the outer carpet side but on the rear of the carpet it can be wet,Saffles had a terrible issue tracking down a water leak into the car.
Ther zig zags are for a heated screen,its the elements to heat the screen,if you remove the scuttle trims under the wiper arms,it would be well worth doing this as the drain holes might have lots of leaves etc in there,you can grease the wiper linkages and there should be a large plug connector in the middle of the base of the windscreen,this is the heated screen connector for the elements,see if you have that and the plug is connected to wiring going into the car,there should also be 2 earth straps that come from the very lower cormers of the screen and bolt to the body near the bonnet hinges with 10mm bolts.
The white around the edge is water that has got in the layers of the glass and caused it to go milky,alot of insurance companys should cover that.
If you don,t have the heated screen button on the climate panel then i THINK the one out of the 2.2 or the V6 should be OK,although the buttons and digital display are different on a Phase 2 from memory in appearance,but not 100% sure...
To remove the panel there are 4 small torx screws,look at the display and directly above are 2,then close the flap to cover the buttons and the other 2 are there,remove it and you will see the small turbine fan,unclip it and give it a good clean out as it will be dusty and dirty.
The actual heater motor in in the passengers footwell,under a felt cover(if still there)undo the torx screws and remove,check the connector isn,t melted and give the motor a clean out,again leaves will be in there and maybe a length of plastic from the heater box,again a common issue and covered by Saffles and A610 i think,worth doing.
Not sure what to suggest with the steering,tracking would be my first idea,but you have covered that,make sure the tyre pressures are spot on etc.
Can you get some more pics of the V6 inside/engine bay etc??

Unfortunately breakers yard is not in the city where I live. I will go there for sure in next few weeks to pick up the doors, so then I can check the parts that you are interested in and take more pictures, just give me the list. If I remember correctly one or both cars are without engines. Both have full electric black leather interior, mostly in good shape (although cars are full of disassembled components), V6 has leather steering wheel in great shape. No phone I'm affraid. I have noticed factory alarm in one of them. Actually I was not allowed to stay close to the cars, except to show what parts do I need.

I haven't noticed any leak anywhere, but I didn't really pay attention. However I am aware that my boot hatch is not closing properly, it has some play in latch itself. I wanted to make adjustments to it (like I had to do on all my previous cars), but I can't see how I could do it, it doesn't seem adjustable. I will also try to clean the scuttle and drains.

Do you think that heater elements are still working, despite the "milky" edges? I'm not sure if new heated screens are available for safrane.

Tyre pressures are ok. My mechanic thinks it could be because of the rear suspension components. There is no significant play in them, but it probably went out of shape with years of use, and rear wheels are taken as reference point while doing tracking on front wheels.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:26 am 

Saffles wrote:
You have damp / water inside the car somewhere. Check under the carpets at the front of the car. Mine had the same problem - see my restoration topic in the problems and fixes forum. There was a wiring loom leaking behind the wheel and the water was running down the wires directly into the carpet. It took me months to get it all sorted but now it's dry as a bone... or at least it was the last time i checked! I need to check that today...

It could be that you have an electric windscreen fitted to a car that never originally had it but I would try the climate panel with the elec button first. It's easy to replace it. Under the buttons at the bottom (where the sliding cover is) there are two small philips screws. Undo those and it pulls forward. There might be two above the display also.. i can't remember. Anyway then you just unplug a few wires and swap the units.

This won't affect your windscreen condensation problem though - you have water in the car. When the air pressure drops at night, the water in the carpet and air is able to expand and rise upwards. It then meets your glass windscreen and becomes trapped as condensation.

I don't know what happens during the night. There was no mist on the glass until we all got inside and departed, so I guess we brought the dampness inside, but I may be wrong (maybe the water started evaporating when I turned on the heater, and then it condensed on the glass). The problem is that it won't go away. Maybe the problem is in blocked air circulation through the car. The white mist around the edges between the layers of windscreen seems more like some kind of discoloration than water. I will have to wait for the rain to stop and then try to clear the above mentioned things and do some observation of possible leaks.

Saffles wrote:
As for your fan slowing down, I have had this but can't remember if its intentional or not. I know the climate panels sometimes become confused about being in manual or auto mode so you should keep that in mind. Also grab spare climate panels from ebay as they do go wrong and are very expensive to buy new or get fixed!

I'm not sure that fan should slow down by itself, maybe it is a security measure of some sort or something like that? I have noticed it happens all the time, so I doubt it's temporary thing. Also when the fan is blowing at full speed, there is some air coming through the openings in front doors, but when the fan slows down you can't feel any flow through them at all.

Saffles wrote:
I've always had similar with my safrane but i think it's the length of the car. Because it's very long and the steering is very light the road inclination has more leverage on the car and can move it easier. The tracking on these cars isn't normally a big problem - they rarely need tracking adjustments and the wishbones and bushes are normally good quality BUT they can deteriorate so inspect your wishbones and ball joints for signs of damage.

It gets quite annoying after some time, and even my hand starts to hurt. I don't think they would make the car intended for high speed long distance trips with faulty steering.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:12 pm 

IF you're only getting mist when you're in the car then that is likely to be your body heat and a mixture of water / damp in the heating system.

Take off the wiper arms and remove the plastic scuttle. Remove all the mess under there (dead leaves, mud etc) that can trap water. Then remove the top cover of the black box where the air flows in and remove any junk from that.

Also, you may have leaking air pipes - see this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=450

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next