The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 10:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:44 am 

Thanks, like i say i am relieved it is working for now. If it does occur again with a new battery, i think it's fair to say something is wrong and drawing too much power from the battery. I'm hoping the sharp voltage drop is just the old battery beginning to fail (although it was only 3 years old). I only really use the car at weekends now so it sits 5 / 6 days a week doing nothing which isn't too good on the battery so perhaps the long drive i had on Saturday just killed it.

As much as a pain this might be, it isn't as bad as a major ECU fault which is what i thought it was, well here's hoping it's nothing too bad or even better if it just doesn't happen again!

I was a bit quick with the doomsday scrap it statement :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:08 pm 

Good news!
Have you ever replaced the batteries in the plip?it might be a good idea to do them aswell,but be warned the car CAN go out of sync with the key on very rare occasions,but they do need changing.
Does it have an aerial leak at all about the plip receiver in the roof,any dips been coming from that area?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:42 pm 

SAFRANEV6RXE wrote:
Good news!
Have you ever replaced the batteries in the plip?it might be a good idea to do them aswell,but be warned the car CAN go out of sync with the key on very rare occasions,but they do need changing.
Does it have an aerial leak at all about the plip receiver in the roof,any dips been coming from that area?

Funny you mention that, not that i know of but i have had the sun roof open a lot recently so perhaps water has got in, i had considered this too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:38 pm 

placidcasual wrote:
If it does occur again with a new battery, i think it's fair to say something is wrong and drawing too much power from the battery.

<snip>

As much as a pain this might be, it isn't as bad as a major ECU fault which is what i thought it was,

I was a bit quick with the doomsday scrap it statement :rolleyes:

I had a snag with ours a few years back.. found it was drawing 10amps... without the ignition even being turned on :rolleyes: I can't remember if i ever solved that or not.. but i've ended up dismantling so many bits and pieces to work on them that i really can't remember lol.

As for ecu.. it still could be so just be sure to keep an eye on the car doing any other quirky ecu related things.

Quick to scrap? Heck.. i've told people i was getting rid of ours many times.. and that was back in 2010 and every year since! It's still sat on the drive costing me time and money to put right lol.. latest glitch isn't good though.. brake pipe leak :shocked:

placidcasual wrote:
SAFRANEV6RXE wrote:
Good news!

Funny you mention that, not that i know of but i have had the sun roof open a lot recently so perhaps water has got in, i had considered this too.

Yeah the plip batteries can be rather sensitive.. but if your car was unlocking and your immobiliser is one that disables itself for 30secs after unlocking i wouldn't have thought that was the issue - though it wouldn't hurt to replace them anyway. Our ph2 went through a phase of not responding to the plips.. never did get to the bottom of it but one day it just came back to life. Poxy thing lol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:46 pm 

Phase 1 didn,t have the 30 sec immobiliser setup,was only on a Phase 2 but i would taje the roof panel down to see if any wet has got into there for any reason,be it a leak or you leaving the roof open its worth a look.
Stick with it hopefully it will be good to you and not play up anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:13 pm 

Yeah i found condensation tends to build up in the roof above the buttons.. had to do some anti-ingress work there with the leccy tape!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:19 pm 

Thanks for these suggestions guys, i will take a closer look under the roof panel, with the way the sunroof slides back but also tilts, it could be possible i have thought it was closed but not done so properly, and there was some heavy rain last week... i guess its best to check from the outside to check the seal is properly in place.

If it was that and it's working now then hopefully it will have dried out and its something i can be cautious about in future.

But like anything, it may not may not even be that at all!

For now, i am just really pleased it is starting again, would have been a real waste of an otherwise sound car that I've already rescued from the brink of scrapping once already (felt i had to as it was my own fault that time). At the same time i don't want to get TOO attached to the car so i end up repairing it all the time, i am hoping that won''t be necessary too often, although to be fair this is the first hiccup it has given me i think.

auto spark commented on just how immaculate the car is under the bonnet.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:03 am 

The sunroof doesn't really have a watertight seal.. yes there is a seal but they do leak a bit. There is a drainway built into the sunroofs and four drain pipes leading from it down to each wheel arch. These can become blocked so you want some of that flexible wire stuff people use for net curtains and shove that down towards each corner until you feel it slide down there and move anymass that is stuck in there.

I had a blocked one on the front drivers side. I couldn't work out why the roof liner kept getting wet in that corner.. then when i eventually got behind the wheel arch liner, found the pipe and cleared it out, loads of water came out. Roof liner has stayed dry since!.. meaning i have minute cracks in the drain pipe i suspect.. and you watch.. that'll want replacing soon too! (Good job i have spares!)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:05 am 

problem reoccurring this morning, so something is drawing power from the battery. nightmare.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:06 am 

checked under roof panel and can't say it was damp underneath the aerial where the receiver is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next