The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 2:43 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: MOT time again
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:26 pm 

I took the V6 for its MOT today,the weather was great and i had it all planned so all went well with a clear pass and now MOTed unitil late May 2016.
Pleased this is all done as it worries me every year!!
Yet again 6 miles since last years MOT.

Post subject: Re: MOT time again
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 1:20 am 

Thats good news! Puts me to shame - 0 miles in 5 odd years :(

Still, hopefully i'll get it sorted this year ready for our move - nothing like a bit of pressure to get something done..

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:04 pm 

MOVING!
Where to? hope things are all O.K mate haven,t heard from you for a while....

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:36 am 

We're not moving until next year but the missus is getting itchy feet now that Saffles jnr is here as the place we're in now is too small. Now she wants to bring those plans forwards but logistically it's a bit of a nightmare as we've so many things to sort out - the safrane being one of them.

Still.. it would be good to get it through an MOT and back on the road again. I've not had the money to do much with it over the last few years but i've had a little bit of luck recently and although it's not much, i now have a bit of money. The problem is that until now, i've had trouble justifying spending any of it on the car (especially with Saffles jnr) however if we're going to move, i can justify the cost of fixing it up because we can't afford to low load it 50 miles - that would be ridiculous! Far cheaper to sort it out, MOT, insure and tax it and drive it there.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:13 pm 

Hope you manage to get the Safrane sorted for the move.

MOT time for me again in the next couple of weeks.
I never normally bother checking anything, it just always sails through but know this time there is a few issues.
The brakes were starting to get a bit debateable, as mentioned on another thread.
It's had some abuse in the past few years.

The rear pads were slightly lacking in pad material!

New rear discs and pads, also reconditioned the calipers. The N/S caliper wasn't working at all, no foot or handbrake. Luckily they are the same calipers as on the Lotus Esprit, so we recon these quite often. First time for a Saffy though.

New front Discs and pads for good measure. They were in desperate need too!

Result: The brakes are bloody fantastic now. I'm surprised how relatively decent they still were considering how terrible I'd let their condition get. I'm a bad man!

P.S I still love this car.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:07 pm 

Nice update/pics hopefully all will be good for the MOT and hopefully Saffles will get his sorted shortly.
How many miles do you do A610,still looks a nice clean car.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:14 pm 

Safrane610 wrote:
P.S I still love this car.

I know the feeling. Ours hasn't seen the highway since 2010.. it's in various states of disrepair, the cabin has bits all over the place.. I just couldn't bring myself to agree to say goodbye to it - despite loosing my rag with it many times.

I opened it up yesterday.. the smell of leather hit me instantly and i fell in love with it again..

I'm a sucka for nice renaults ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:03 pm 

I do between 50 and 70 miles a day on average in the Safrane. 6 days a week.
I occasionally use an Esprit or the Alpine but for commuting and daily work, the Safrane does everything so well so usually use it.
The car has been mine for 13 years and always been on the road although I do more mileage now than ever before.
It's a very tidy car, not mint but it is used all the time. Suffers from the usual rust around the rear wheel arches which may be sorted before too long.
As mentioned before, it runs on LPG at 55p/ltr. So I do 260 miles to a tank of fuel, approx. cost £28. Cheaper than most diesels to run.

SAFRANEV6RXE wrote:
Nice update/pics hopefully all will be good for the MOT and hopefully Saffles will get his sorted shortly.
How many miles do you do A610,still looks a nice clean car.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 12:20 am 

The LPG is impressive, a guy that SAFRANEV6RXE and I know had a 2L LPG safrane and loved it as it was so economical to run compared to normal unleaded. Sadly his aux belt snapped and got under the cambelt and trashed his engine but he did say that LPG is great for these cars. I'd like to get ours done at some point but at the moment just getting it back on the road would be nice.

I have a vague recollection that you had your LPG tank in the spare wheel store didn't you? - Where do you keep your spare then? Thats one thing I love about the safrane is the huge boot and I'm not sure i could give that up to an LPG tank the size of a water tank.

I'd like to convert to LPG but at the moment just getting it back on the road is my main aim..

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:48 pm 

Had my MOT today. I needed to do some welding which I have planned for this Saturday but thought I'd MOT it anyway and see if anything else showed up.

It didn't. Clean bill of health apart from that small area of excess corrosion. Will get that sorted and then underseal the car whilst I have it on the ramp.

Happy :cool: