The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:08 pm 

I have experienced some starting issues of late on my 2.5 RTE Exec along with the Service light on the dash. I ran the codes and one for Fuel Trim/ Fuel Filter came up, which suggested the fuel filter needed changing. I have done this job before on a Volvo so have experience with the type of push fit pipe connectors used on the Safrane.

Now problem is the filter on these is often neglected and not changed as often as necessary and that is the case with mine. The push connectors are awkward but can be prised off with care. I managed to remove the outlet connector but the inlet one broke apart. Therein lies my problem as the fuel pipes are plastic not rubber, otherwise I cut just trim the pipe back and fit a jubilee clip.

I removed the inspection cover inside the boot hoping to find the other end of the fuel pipe but all I found was an electrical connection to what I assume is the sender unit.

I'm looking for some advise on where to find the starting point for the fuel supply pipe and any suggestions on how I can fix this pipe to filter connection, perhaps without having to remove the pipe?

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:57 pm 

Okay, after a little more investigation I've come to the conclusion that the fuel pipe that I need to get to, which will be connected to the fuel pump/ sender unit, must be under the lid beneath the inspection cover in the boot. I am wondering whether this lid, which has an elctrical connection just unscrews. I have tried to remove it but access is tight for my big hands. I'm wondering whether a special tool is required?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:19 am 

WARNING!!!!
Be very carefully with the connectors on the fuel pump they become fragile and snap of if tampered with to much.
Alot of people have issues with the fuel pipe connectors,they are a pain.
From what i have been told you push the square tabs in on each side and push the pipe IN towards the filter to release them,not just pulling outwards although this sometimes works.
Access to the pump and the sender is under round inspection plates in the very rear of the boot near the back seat.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:37 pm 

Thanks for the advice. All fixed now, I dumped the useless push fit connectors in favour of high pressure rubber fuel line and jubilee clips. I found the pump eventually as I hadnt pulled the boot carpet out fully, but once I did, there it was. Safrane is working again much to my relief.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:08 pm 

I broke a safrane once for having problems with this very issue. Went to do the pump, broke various plastic bits of **** and went to replace the entire pipe with rubber and broke the plastic nipple on the top of the pump. I took it as a sign and dismantled the car.. it was sat on a neighbours drive who wanted rid anyway so it seemed like the logical thing to do. We moved it over on to our drive (with some negotiations with another neighbour) and i destructed it to bits..

Unfortunately our current safrane has the same problem.. fuel filter wants changing - the current one actually leaks so i'm going to have to face this next month as i'm intending to MOT it..