The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:16 pm 

First of all hello to all of you out there, im from Switzerland and finally got my hands on Phase 2 Safrane 2000 year 2.0 16v FROM A FIRST OWNER from new :rolleyes: :cool: I am have some issues with it, so i hope that someone can help me.
First- my cd radio works just fine, except when i turn off or lock the car radio display is constantly on(only shuts down normally if the fuse is pulled out)
Second one is that my windshield vipers work on washing the wind shield and the highest speed, inteminent and normal speed wont work(sometimes they do, but they oftenly stop in the middle of the winshield)
Hope i spelled everything correctly, looking forward to some help
Greeting to you all

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:12 pm 

Hello and welcome!

Your windscreen wiper switch is faulty I think. We had another member here with the same thing. They are known for being faulty in the intermittent mode and it is apparently the contacts inside the switch stalk. You will need to remove it and dismantle it from behind the steering wheel.

As for your radio I have no ideas. It took me four years to get to the bottom of a CD changer that wouldn't work so I'm not going to be able to help you with your screen problem - sorry! You could try www.renaultsafrane.nl - they have some members from europe too who might be able to help ;)

I've taken you off moderation so you can now post and reply instantly :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:51 pm 

Ok thanks, little update vipers fixed, just cleaned the stalk and thats it. About radio today tried another one, same thing radio display wont turn off. Then i removed connector for steering wheel commands and it turns off when i remove key from ignition. Now im confused tottaly, radio works, commands work, when commands are disconnected display turns off, when connected it wont now what? Can it be some loose or broken wire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:41 pm 

It could possibly be a wire under the dashboard that is grazing against another bit of metal maybe?

I had this with the CD changer in our safrane. The CD changer never worked since we got the car. When I started tinkering with it, it still did nothing so i swapped the stereo and cd changer for a pair that worked. They didn't work. I then swapped the cable and again no CD changer. So I ended up investigating the wiring and it turned out to be a small 12V wire in the roof that powers the aerial amplifier - it was grazing against the sharp edge on the roof and had made a small hole in the insulation of the wire. This meant that it was grounding against the roof and not powering the signal amplifier. How that affected the CD changer I have no idea but it did. As soon as i put insulating tape around the wire and moved it away from the sharp edge the CD changer came to life.

Also in these cars people have a habit of tinkering with the wiring behind the stereo and the passenger side dashboard at the bottom where the alarm is. When I opened up ours, there were disconnected wires and all sorts of other things soldered into place - a real pain to work with as it was very confusing.