The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 9:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Drivers side wiper blade
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:03 pm 

Hi there, new to this forum.

I own a 1994 safrane phase 1.

I am just wondering, is the drivers side wiper arm meant to be hook side up?

I have tried unsuccessfully now many times to fit new blades but it just doesn't seem right. I don't want to waste another £10 - £20 buying another blade if it doesn't fit, can anyone advise please?

I've been putting up with a wrongly fitted blade for too long now and it keeps unnataching itself and scratching the windscreen and does an awful job, my MOT tester commented on it and didn't fail it, but i think he was being nice!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:30 am 

placidcasual wrote:
I am just wondering, is the drivers side wiper arm meant to be hook side up?

Not for a normal car lol.

That said, yes on the safrane it seems to be a 'feature'. We have a ph2 2.5 and have the same wiper arm that hooks up instead of down and like you, it's a pain to find a replacement.

What i do is go to my local motor factors and just get them to replace the actual rubber part. My local has a big reel of wiper blade rubber stuff and he simply cuts it off and fits it to the wiper arm for me. Admittedly this is a pain as it means i can't use any brand of my choice (eg bosch) but its better than nothing.

Alternative would be to buy the blades of your choice at the right size and take out the rubber and swap it over seperately.]

SAFRANEV6RXE might be able to offer better advice as he is a ph1 man ;)

Saffles

PS I've taken you off moderation now so you can post away ;)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:20 pm 

It is a strange design! I believe there is a BMW 5 series that also has this style?

Anyway, I have just got a couple of new drivers wipers from Renault. Not overly expensive and worth it to save the hassle.
If you need the correct Renault order number, let me know and I'll get it for you.
I have a ph11, but by the sounds of it, they are the same as ph1.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:54 pm 

What part numbers did they sell you?
Be interesting to know.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:58 pm 

By the way Placid is your 94 car a V6???
Tell us more in a new thread and if you need any parts give us a shout,i,am over run with phase 1 parts!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:05 pm 

77 01 040 501

I have never been able to get the original style (and my car never had the original since I bought it in 2001) so have always used this code/wiper blade.
It doesn't look as neat as the original but is easy to fit and works well which is the main thing.
The price I think is under £20 retail.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:23 pm 

Yeah thats the one i thought you would say,its the side mount one,i tried to get the exact NOS one for mine but haven,t managed,but will start looking again i think.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:31 pm 

I can,t remember for sure were i have a clear pic of the wiper blades,i think its in a foreign brochure i have,i must have a look and remind myself what i,am looking for,i also know that the original drivers blade has a spoiler the whole length of the blade and not finish a few inches short each end,maybe thats the only difference.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:41 pm 

I did try many years ago to get the original but was told it was obsolete and the one above was the replacement so haven't bothered since. The main thing is that it fits, works and isn't obscenely expensive.

For Placidcasual, if you have had issues finding a suitable replacement then get down to your local Renault dealer or contact SAFRANEV6RXE and it will be job done. :cool:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:49 pm 

Placid just go to your local dealer and quote that part number 610 lists,its correct and will fit.
I just looked at some of my period brochures and it appears that the original blade WAS side mounted and the spoiler was shorter,my mistake!!!