The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 8:26 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:13 pm 

I will keep an eye open if i find one.
The ad for your car was always interesting and it was advertised in lots of different places,i think the seller was thinking it was worth alot more than it actually was,the price just kept dropping the longer it was for sale.
Post some pics of it when you can be good to see some close ups of it,look after it as there are few left now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:38 am 

Have you asked a bodyshop whether the grille is fixable? It's amazing what those guys can do (in the grand scheme of things, fixing a grille isn't that big a job) and you would have to paint it anyway.

placidcasual wrote:
Thanks, really highlights how rare these cars have become, certain parts are very scarce, breakers hard to come by too! I've owned lot's of old cars before, mainly fords and parts are always easy to find for them but then they were big sellers here so no real surprise. Not to worry, the car was never superficially as mint as that very long advert the seller posted might have made you think, it has wee dints and scratches all over it, i bought it to use it, not to show it although it would look nicer without a cracked grille, i can live with it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:06 pm 

The grille is beyond repair in my estimation, unfortunately the car was involved in a minor collision a few months ago and it's cracked in several places and part of it missing. Unfortunately the car was declared a CAT C write off but i bought it back and put it through a VIC as it really was way too good to end up in a scrap yard so it is road legal again. The fact i'd just had an new exhaust fitted a week before the crash might have swayed my decision to save it!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:14 pm 

I've been there, smashed ours to bits one christmas (which obviously ruined that christmas completely) and it was an awful mess:

This was how it looked when the volvo owner pulled his savage brick off our french tin can:

I was absolutely gutted to say the least. Like you, the grille was completely shot but i was lucky as i had another safrane the same colour on the drive SORN due to MOT failure. I spent 3-4 days out in the wind, rain, sleet and snow rebuilding the crashed one lol. The insurance company and the VIC were the worst hassles if i'm honest, not nice at all!

Like you said.. they're too nice to scrap. Odd really how they're worth so little but that makes them ideal for us safrane folk!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:19 pm 

:rolleyes:

You guys!!! lol. Here's my latest project. Slightly more work than a smashed grille but definitely not beyond repair. It's all do able and will be like new shortly ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:42 pm 

Wow that looks amazing!

Do you have a garage / workshop or do you do all your work outside? I only ask as with me it's the latter and I've always found it a bit limiting (especially for paint jobs etc)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:45 am 

This was mine 2 mins after the knock. You can clearly see the grille is finished.
Glad to see you chose to save yours as well. I just replaced the headlamp and indicator lens with second hand units and pulled the bonnet and wing out as best as i could, it would be too expensive for me to go down the panel replacement route as they are a.) really hard to find and b.)so low in value i don't think it is worth it and they pulled out quite well anyway. The photo doesn't really show but they were quite crumpled I would still like to replace the grille though becasue it does look bad like that.

The good thing is it made absolutely no difference to how it drives, no damage to suspension etc, it flew through it's MOT a few weeks after this! (think it needed a CV gaitor and that was it).

I know some of you may be disappointed a very low mileage safrane isn't being lavished and kept mint, but it actually has scratches and little dents all over it that the seller never really mentioned and a rattly exhaust that i had to replace as well which wasn't cheap. It was also covered in moss and filth when i collected it, i'm surprised he didn't bother to clean it as a courtesy. I bought this car to replace another car that i was forever spending money on so i don't want to repeat that with this. The safrane is being used as a daily and its better to see it being used i think anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:25 pm 

Interesting photos posted there,both look nasty.
Good to hear you just using the Safrane as it should be used,O.K i can,t say the same about mine but its great to read that they are still driving well despite the odd knock!
Front wings are actually the same on both phase 1 and 2 and new they are not a bad price,but as you say you bought it to use and thats what you are doing.
I don,t care that a low mileage example is being used,enjoy it.
But with the grille situation it does prove that the parts are getting in short supply even S/H.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:25 pm 

Hey guys

Well after finding that Tesco are selling aeroblades for just £3 each including the safranes 24" size we grabbed some for the honda we have and to be frank they're pretty darn good!

So.. this got me thinking about the safrane. I can fit one to the passenger side, i can fit one to the rear but how the heck do i deal with the drivers side? The aero blades fittings have the same arm/hook fitting clip as traditional wiper blades but they don't support the upside down hook that the drivers side arm has.

This annoying little critter:

That requires this special offside fitting (two from my collection both waiting for replacement rubber strips):

Is there an aero blade equivalent? - It would look a biut daft having one aero blade and one traditional wiper at the front though lets face it.. there's nothing exactly normal about the safrane lol.

Our local Tesco don't sell any old traditional blades anymore and our local halfords were thin on the ground too (no 24" in stock and no normal prices lol) but everywhere seems to be selling plenty of aero blades now. I may have to get my driver side arm re-engineered to have a right way up hook...