The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Screen Wash Pump
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:49 pm 

My screen wash pump appears to have given up. No noise and no water. Anyone changed this? Where is it and is there a recommended replacement?

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Screen Wash Pump
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:32 pm 

Which one? Front or rear?

Rear is reasonably easy to replace - pop the carpet off (lifting the boots rubber seal in the process) and then you can access the tank and pump which simply pulls out (the pump out of the tank i mean - can't remember the how easy the tank is to remove). Make sure the tank is empty though as the hole where the pump goes in is at the bottom so water will start pissing out the moment you pull the pump out.

The front pump (incidentally both pumps are the same part) is the same, hole at the bottom of the tank however the tank is under the front drivers wheel arch in the forward section behind the indicator / under the ECU so you'll need to remove the wheel and the liner. Slight pain to remove but if you take out the indicator and then hit the front of the tank with a long bar and hammer it pops out nicely. Oh but you'll need to unbolt and pull out the filler neck in the engine bay first.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:41 pm 

You're in luck as I just remembered i've got my front tank out at the moment to clean the $**t out (no idea how i'm going to get it out but you can see how disgustingly black it is in the photo). Anyway if its the front tank you're pulling out, this is what it looks like - black part is the pump:

The pump just pulls upwards for removal.

Also while you're at it, if you look at the left of the pick you'll see a sort of funnel on top of the tank. This usually has a float valve in it so that the water can fill right up to the tank above the filler neck but they tend to get dirty too so you might want to pop it out and give that a quick clean too (just be sure not to loose it like i have lol)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:53 am 

Thanks Saffles. Extremely helpful as usual. It is not working at the front although I never use the rear one so I wouldn't know whether that actually works lol.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:52 am 

I try!

The rear tank is a bit of a pain if you have a CD changer as to refill you have to pull out the filler neck and fill it up right over the CD changer. Really stupid design. At some point i will fit a sucking-refil pump to it with a long bit of silicon tubing so that i can suck the screen wash straight out of the bottle into the tank. Trouble is i got far too much else to do to it first!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:13 pm 

Did this today. All went smoothly thanks to your advice. Tested the old pump and it was knackered so popped the new one in and Bob's your uncle.

The rear one works fine anyway so there wasn't any need to change that. Don't have the CD interchanger (have an aftermarket CD player with USB for iPod) so would be an easy job.

Thanks Saffles (what is your proper name by the way?)

Regards
John

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:33 pm 

Glad you got it done. Did you have any mould in your tank? - Any ideas how to get it out? - I'm absolutely stumped!

As for names, i don't do names in public ;)