The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Crankcase Breather
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:43 pm 

For the last several months I have been experiencing a strong exhaust smell in the Safranes cabin, as my rear silencer wasn't a particularly good fit, I assumed that was the culprit. Following some excellent recommendations on here, I managed to get the back box replaced. I have had the exhaust checked out and there are no gas leaks, however, I'm still getting the strong exhaust smell in the car. Some passengers say it is an oil or petrol smell and I am now wondering whether it it the crankcase breather and wonder is this a known issue on the Volvo engined cars?

Cheers

John

Post subject: Re: Crankcase Breather
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:27 pm 

Hi

Yes this is a known but rare problem. If you pop the bonnet, you may find that this valve has burst open:

This is the N7Q from the 2L safrane - one cylinder less but the basic block is identical:

It's on the back of that bellowed unit. I had this on my last safrane. The pipe at the bottom of the PCV / oil seperator under the inlet manifold, blocks up and then the engine can't breathe properly. Consequently it blows out the recirculation valve and oil vapour starts being pumped out which is then sucked along the top of the bonnet and sucked into the heating system.

If it helps, my oil seperator / PCV didn't need replacing like many volvos, it simply needed the hole in the engine to be unblocked (wire coat hanger did that nicely). If your valve has popped, the plastic that holds it in will be severely weakened so cable ties around the bit that it plugs into will hold it in place.

I ran mine like that for months and the engine coped for over a year like it however it soon got weaker and weaker - to the point where engaging drive would stall it. Once I'd done the job it seemed to have no ill lasting effects, engine was back to normal with more power than it previously had.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:13 pm 

Forgot to say, when you got the bonnet up, have the engine running (and hot). If there is a breather problem, pulling the oil dipstick will quickly reveal a whooshing sound.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:46 pm 

Many thanks I was late home this evening so will have a look tomorrow after work.
John

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:49 pm 

No worries, hopefully it's just the valve has come loose naturally (it does happen - the plastic moulded twist clip is terrible).

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:31 pm 

Well I checked the valve thingumy and it's fine and there is no oil vapour leakage. Obviously I haven't been able to check the actual PCV yet but I'm starting to think the smell must be from something else, again. :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:42 pm 

I wouldn't worry about the PCV - you'll need to remove the inlet manifold to get to it. If you've got the engine hot and pulled the dipstick while running and there was no whooshing sound then the PCV is probably ok.

No idea where else the oil vapour could be coming from I'm afraid. Only thing I can suggest is you run the engine up and start investigating (with the engine cover removed). I still reckon it's being drawn in via the heater but no idea where else the oil vapour would come from.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:07 am 

I do have one more idea.. I suffered a petrol vapour years ago (and forgot!)

At the back of the engine where the timing cover is, there are two rubber fuel lines attached to metal pipes. These can fray and then under pressure, allow a mild leak of petrol. This then stinks into the cabin and isn't very pleasant.

To test, run engine, lift bonnet, watch fuel pipes. If they start looking damp thats your problem. Easy fix, pull the pipes off, cut 1cm off to remove the frayed part and reattach.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:37 pm 

Thanks that could be culprit as one mate is adamant that it is a petrol smell, whereas another says exhaust, but it is definitely more noticeable in the passenger side of the car?
For the moment this fault is not the most pressing as one of the straps holding the fuel tank in has rusted through and snapped, allowing the tank to drop a little. Need to fabricate a replacement as I doubt they are available off the shelf?
Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:44 pm 

Get the tank strap done URGENTLY!!!!
Theres only one on a Safrane tank,and they are very cheap,just buy a new one from Renault.