The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 2:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:29 am 

Hey gang!

I suspect many of you have looked at the main site a few times and thought something along the lines of "Urgh.. how awful" and frankly, who could blame you? - In case you visit the forum directly and have forgotten just how bad it is, this is it in it's entire ugliness:

Well quite frankly, I've never been very talented with anything graphical and it really was the best I could come up with at the time. I've been using the site as a test bed for php related stuff for a long time and despite not seeing much change on the front end, I've done a lot on the back end with the database etc over the years.

This of course is completely useless though if I can't design a simple half decent looking website right? Right. Well as sods law would have it I had some surgery recently so with a bit of free time to recover and other commitments put on hold while recovering, I decided that I would make a new design. It's not finished yet and probably won't be uploaded any time soon (I'm still working on many other things) but I would appreciate you guys taking a peek and telling me what you think of it. Please note that the grey column on the left is reserved for future use (eg spotted in the wild, shoutbox or something similar).

Anyway.. here it is.. please tell me what you think!:

Don't be too harsh on me - I'm not a pro webbie just an amateur but I welcome any constructive comments that will help me to improve the site.

Saffles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:18 pm 

I think it looks great,a nice update and hopefully it will attract a few more members,again as i,ve said before any memembers of the forum,PLEASE try and get involved with posting and adding to the site,i know the grand sum of zero about computers or websites so i,am afraid i can,t help much,but more posts from members in all sections would be a great help,i,ve just slowed down because i want other people to get involved and i feel that constant posts from me about random Safrane items can get abit boring,Saffles takes alot of time to look after the site and for that i thank him,i look on the site everyday and always read new posts.
I think the new updated looks is very nice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:58 am 

All work on the site is appreciated. As somebody who looks after the website as part of my business, I know how time consuming and damn right hard work it can be.
I'm sure all us Saffy owners are grateful to you that we have a contact point for help with our cars.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:32 pm 

Safrane610 wrote:
As somebody who looks after the website as part of my business, I know how time consuming and damn right hard work it can be.

You never told me you were a webbie! You could have had free reign of the site.

I'm utterly useless with front end stuff and have until recently been working on back end stuff (the site uses a modular type system so has quite a complex permissions system and various other things). Anyway it badly needs a front end overhaul and I really must get CSS and photoshop skills mastered so the way I see it I should just get on with it.

Right.. back to it..

Saffles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:59 pm 

Well I'm still making (slow) progress.. The latest work has been to rewrite the photo gallery and its look. It's not no longer using tables for the layout of each thumbnail but floated divs (though i did cheat and use a table inside each of those for the vertical alignment ;) )

Also the grey sidebar I'm still mulling over. I'm thinking (as you probably noticed) that we could use it for a "seen in the wild" type thing that Chris H started on the forum a while back. Ideas / comments are welcome.