The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Exhaust recommendation
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:30 pm 

I had a new middle and back box fitted to my 2.5 Exec last year, it is mild steel unit from Germany through eBay, problem is the silencer is a poor fit with the piece passing through subframe being slightly too short. I have got fed up of it vibrating on subframe and it is also leaking gases at the joint. exhaust fitters can't be bothered and just keep slapping putty onto it, which of course blows out.
Can anyone recommend a make of silencer I can buy and be confident will be a good OE spec fit?
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:32 pm 

Should have said it is a 98 2.5 Phase II

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:09 pm 

I don't know if you have a partco / unipart where you are but thats where I bought my last exhaust (middle and rear boxes) which appeared to be identical to the renault ones. They cost around £85 each - quite a drastic markup admittedly.

Where abouts are you?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:39 am 

I'm in Nottingham, but thanks for that I will have a look for a Partco stockist around here, I'm sure there must be one.
I had a go a modifying the silencer myself by cutting the pipe that passes through the subframe and putting an extension pipe on but it really needs welding into place. There is insufficient room for exhaust clamps and the ones I used don't ensure a gas tight seal.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:45 am 

Having had a quick search on Google it comes up with Euro Car Parts as PartCo stockist. They list a back box for £105.60 (rrp £177), bit steep but worth it if it sorts it out properly.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:03 pm 

Look for unipart instead - if they're up your way. They often do better prices than eurocarparts.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:34 pm 

I found the Unipart website which usefully does list many parts for the Safrane but I couldn't find a listing for exhaust parts.
I will try a couple of my local motor factors who I know list Unipart.
Thank for the advice, I took my Safrane off the road for four months because I couldn't get any exhaust place to fix it, but I missed it so much I relaxed it this month and am determined to sort it out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:35 pm 

If you ring your local unipart they'll often do you a good price - lower than they advertise. It depends who you get and what sort of mood they're in.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:05 pm 

Same with eurocarparts its worth popping in and being cheeky, i got mine for £80 from them a couple of months ago ...........

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:05 am 

Still trying to find my replacement exhaust, by chance euro car parts had a sale on which brought the price of a rear silencer down to £72 but only for online sales and typically I couldn't get the transaction to work online and next time I looked the sale was over. Hopefully in next few weeks I will get it all sorted and can move on with the list of faults.