The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Updates on our Safrane's
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:25 pm 

So, it's a bit quiet on here. I'll start with my car.
Mileage is adding up now and have just done 94,000m. Still very low for these.
Ordered a new catalytic converter today. Mine sounds like half a dozen coins in a tin can. Looking forward to a bit of quiet again when we fit it tomorrow as rest of exhaust is new.
Also got the front RH wheel bearing on the way out so similarly ordered one of them. Has been gradually getting worse so needs doing.
I've hardly done a thing on it in 10 years so I can't complain! ;)

Also have a bit of rust on rear wheel arches and just behind the front wheels on the small part of bodywork between the wheels and the door which I haven't seen as a problem on any other Safrane. It's going into the painters to get sorted before it gets too bad (I've seen cars half the age with far worse) but we are waiting for some drier weather to let the underneath recover from this very wet winter.

How is everyone else, hope no one has been flooded.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:34 pm 

Well mine is in quite a worse condition that yours! Not only is it home to tons of spares from the last safrane I dismantled, it's also got a electrical fault that has knocked out the cooling fans, damp / water ingress and a few other annoying 'features'.

It should have been up and running last year but due to the emergency surgery I had I couldn't do anything to it that was major. I did however manage to poke around the electrical wiring and get the thing to start again (it had a gearbox circuit fault which meant it couldn't see what gear it was in and wouldn't let the car start - taking the gear selector display on the dash with it).

91k unoffically but officially 82k on the clock. SAFRANEV6RXE looked it up on the renault database and found the dials were replaced at 11k under warranty. I can only imagine it was the sticky needle problem that these suffer from. Renault never solved that but it's the clear plastic cover on the speedo - it warps slightly which then puts the speedo shaft against the side of the hole.

One rusting wheel arch (waxed ages ago to slow it down), some bubbling round the rear wiper and a bit on the megal several inches away from the boot handle. Oh and half the engine bay is tacked together temporarily lol.

Paint is slowly fading too (it's been laid up for 3 years) so I've decided that once I've got it sorted out this summer (if we still get those?!) I'm going to get it wrapped instead in black which I reckon will give it a nice new look!

The last one I dismantled also had the can of nails in the cat.. took it for an MOT and it still had the lowest emissions of any car I've had over the last 7 years - how does that work?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:40 am 

Fortunately Cats are really cheap now. £61 and I'll probably get £40 scrap from the gypsies for the old cat!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:59 pm 

My poor 2.5 Exec got it's rear window smashed while parked in town one night. No attempt to steal the car and nothing was taken, so I can only imagine it was a random act of booze-filled oxygen thief who consequently put my Safrane out of action for a month now.

Really missing it, the ride of a BMW X5 is quite a shock after the Safrane..... I need it back soon! After searching in vain for another pane of glass, I ended up buying a whole other Safrane for parts - a 2.0 RTE Exec this time. Now I just gotta work out how to remove the glass from the donor car and I should be Safrane-ing once again :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:57 pm 

I've mentioned before but we have a Jag and a Volvo but I would take the Safrane every time. My neighbour used to have a Safrane too and it was the same story although he has a Skoda Superb now which is very nice to be fair. Really are great cars like the R25 before it for those who aren't too badge conscious.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:13 pm 

It's also the main reason i can't give up on ours.. bloody thing has cost me a fortune but I love the thing to bits.. must be crazy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:57 pm 

R9UKE window that is broken is the o/s/r door one so a case of removing the door card and taking it from there.
I think you will have to remove the window reg from the door shell so you can slide the round slider setup into the runner at the bottom of the glass.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:10 pm 

For some reason I had it in my head he meant the rear boot windscreen... oops

I've deleted my post accordingly as it clearly makes no sense having re-read R9's post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:00 pm 

Thanks for the tips. I've taken the door card off the donor car and also undid the (manual wind down) window regulator from the body of the door. The glass now moves freely but I cannot work out how to detach it from the runner it sits in - it's stuck solidly to it. It started to rain and I gave up - hopefully the next attempt will see the RXE back on the road!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:27 am 

This might help....http://www.renaultsafrane.pl/manual/saf ... e_877.html

Whole manual is here.... http://www.renaultsafrane.pl/manual/saf ... frane.html

Thinking about it it would be worth starting a "How to " section by taking pictures of jobs we do and descriptions so it makes jobs easier for all. Maybe you could do that as you change the window.