The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Doobies Saffy... SOLD
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:02 pm 

Well gave the barge a clean today and emptied the leaves and dirt out of the scuttle as i was getting some steaming up on the windscreen...

As you can see it was bad with the drivers side the worst...
This is what came out !!!

Its better now though...

Part of the problem was that 5 of the 7 clip thingys that hold the scuttle down onto the windscreen are broken so if anyone has some for sale please let me know...

Once this was done i gave her a quick wash... rain stopped a proper detail but this will come later anyways looks way better.

Finally i checked the fluid levels and had to add 2 litres of oil just to get it up to minimum on the dipstick which is a bit worrying...

More to come if it ever stops raining...

Last edited by Doobie on Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Doobies Saffy...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:29 pm 

Looks good! The leaves weren't too bad, when we got our first one, there was thick SLUDGE along the bulk head under the scuttle lol. It really was disgusting..

As for the oil, can't really say much there as I've never known these engines to loose any. The only time you would is if you had a head gasket failure but then you'd notice white mayo under the oil filler cap and a loss of coolant. It's possible that it's just never had its oil changed / topped up and just been run. These engines are known for using 5 year old oil and still going without a hitch so that is a plausible but rare theory.

Failing that you've got a leak somewhere. Favourite is one of the two sump plugs (yes, it has two!) or the oil pressure switch on the front of the engine (it has a white plug on it above the green one on the sump). I had one of those sensors leaking a few years back, £18 from my dealer inc vat.

As for the scuttle clips, I'm pretty sure they'll only come with the scuttle tbh. Send SAFRANEV6RXE a pm and he will look it up for you at work - he works in the parts dept of a renault dealer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:24 pm 

That looks lovely,really come up nice,does it need a foglamp?
If so contact Saffles as he has all the phase 2 parts,i,am a phase 1 person myself.
If you need any genuine parts please ask.
Won,t be able to do anything for a week though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:27 pm 

Well done for cleaning the leaves out,a common problem,if that doesn,t cure the misting up check the front footwell carpet for dampness,if it is Saffles posted about that.
Also check the spare wheel well for water.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:34 pm 

Yep plenty of sludge too.... i am hoping its just that oil hasnt been topped up... Will need to sort the breathers at some point soon so is there a how to or at least some pics or diagrams of where they are located ??? No fogs are ok... rhs is loose but i havent had time to investigate yet...front spoiler lip is loose too so will do both together, SafraneV6RXE can you see if you can get the clips that hold the scuttle panel to the windscreen as separate parts or if they are part of the scuttle??? they are the ones that have a torq drive top mount which is marked as F and C on the scuttle and a lever that turns to lock under the windscreen. I can take a picture if you are not sure and if not how much a scuttle panel complete is if Saffles hasnt got one Cheers for the tips guys ...so much to check steering is next... :cry: cheers...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:39 pm 

Mine does like a drink of oil. Always has. Get the oil changed and keep an eye on it but hopefully nothing to worry about.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:42 pm 

Finally i see there was some debate with regard to back boxes as i need one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281167340123?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

this is for a diesel but looks much like the original and only a few quid more than the cheapy one ... is it right the diesel exhausts are identical to petrols???

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:42 pm 

Will do,i know the ones you mean but i THINK you can,t get them from the scuttle,or if you can they are N/A from Renault.
Saffles knows about breather pipes.....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:43 pm 

Cheers 610 that is my plan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:46 pm 

Do 2.5 have twin pipes on the backbox?
You need to be careful with these,original Renault items are sleeved on this joint and the cat/centre section,make sure the existing back box has this fitting as shown in the photo.