The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 5:48 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Whats your mileage?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:19 pm 

On our first safrane it's 82k (although SAFRANEV6RXE looked this up at work and found the dials were replaced at 9k under warranty so realistically it's 91k).

The second had 115k on it when I called it a day. The latest one to be turned into a fridge had 130k on the clock. Neither of these cars had any engine or gearbox trouble and could have easily had their engines and boxes put back into service (I still have them from the latest breaker sat on a pallet as spares).

I saw one on ebay a couple of years back with 430k on the clock (and yes that was miles) and I'm wondering if anyone else has got near that or beaten it in a safrane?

So, whats your mileage?

Post subject: Re: Whats your mileage?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:29 pm 

The tatty V6 has 46k on it but the minter has 84k!!!! almost double the miles but more than double the better condition...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:48 am 

Seen loads with 2-300k miles on which have probably been scrapped by now. Also remember seeing that 430k car.

Mine only has 86k miles although I am driving a lot more miles these days so it will have 100k on before too long. I think the Ph2 safrane will probably rot away before the engine/gearbox expire. They seem to be pretty bullet proof. Had a slight misfire on mine last week but changed the plugs and all was well. Running on LPG means they do go through plugs every 5-6000 miles.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:17 am 

110k (just under) on my '97 Phase 2 but if I understand correctly, these have a Volvo engine and gearbox so should be good for much higher mileage.

Remarkably, the only rust on the entire car is the boot lid (couple of very small bits round the boot handle, blistering round the wiper mounting and an inch of grot in the corner where the rear window meets the boot lid.

Even more remarkably (for a French car) all the buttons and electrics work a treat including the climate control. Every bulb inside & out works too!

I have to say, I keep thinking about selling it but I'm sure it is worthless and given that it works perfectly (and I do a 500 mile round trip in it every 2 weeks), It is impossible to buy anything more reliable.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:05 am 

over 360.000km (225.000 miles) on my BT and just over 100.000 miles on silver 2.0 16v

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:26 am 

mmarks wrote:
Remarkably, the only rust on the entire car is the boot lid (couple of very small bits round the boot handle, blistering round the wiper mounting

I also have blistering round the wiper hole but weirdly I have none above the handle but I do have some blistering 3-4 inches away from it :shocked:

Rust starting to set in inside the engine bay too. I really need to get it fixed and running again so that it can keep the damp at bay but the medical problems are prohibiting..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:44 pm 

Ticked over 100k last week in the 1997 2.5. Saffles tells me this is just run in being the Volvo lump :P

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:21 pm 

R9UKE wrote:
Ticked over 100k last week in the 1997 2.5. Saffles tells me this is just run in being the Volvo lump :P

Certainly is! I had one of these engines sat on a pallet with the autobox attached for a good 2 years (maybe 3 actually). Anyway it looked shite on the outside so i decided to break it down. Inside looked like it had only been stopped yesterday. Oil still where it needed to be (even though I'd drained it) all the moving metal parts still nice, shiny, lubed etc. I was utterly shocked. Best bit was the head gasket - not only are those head bolts really hard to get undone (even with a 4ft cheater bar) the gasket was like new and it had 120k on the clock when i broke that car and I had personally thrashed that engine senseless in sports mode many times. The gasket had was absolutely bling though.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:41 pm 

Just found these R9UKE, they're of the head gasket I removed from the engine I spoke of above:

Other side:

Ok so you can see it's not quite as new but still in very good condition considering it was at that point, 11/12 years old and been thrashed many times.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:37 pm 

Amost 109,000 here, still going strong.