The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:14 pm 

Hello fellow Safranos .....So picked up the Safrane today... this is Mmarks old car so i guess you all know it.... anyway it drove the 70 miles to its new home in Dorchester, Dorset in style although there are a couple of areas of concern but that can wait for another day.... first off is a good clean and polish in the next couple of days to get it looking and smelling better.... ;)
Anyway here are a couple of pics of it now its home....

More when its clean ......

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:23 pm 

Looking good!

So it seems your car now has the forum record for the most owners lol!

It's good to see mmarks talked you into joining up and keeping the car alive! Safranes are nice cars, a lot for the money but they can be a bit quirky sometimes lol. Very reliable though!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:49 pm 

Ah i like big wafty cars so its ideal for me ...drove home on cruise something i have missed.... I think i must take it easier than mark as after the 70 mile drive home it was showing only 20 miles less on the miles to empty Hope to keep this for a long time...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:53 pm 

Welcome to the forum,great to see you have joined and hopefully we can help you with any questions you have.
What list of jobs to you need to do on the car?
Bet it would look a lot better with a good clean,nice to hear from the previous owner that it was so reliable.
Welcome.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:12 pm 

Doobie wrote:
it was showing only 20 miles less on the miles to empty

Yes thats quite common but it won't go lower than that really. Typically around the 18-20 miles left it will blank out the display and simply show "----" almost as if its trying to hold you hostage to force you to top up.

Typical MPG around town is about 17MPG, motorways / long runs is a max of 33MPG. We've had 3 of these and its been the same on all of them across various routees.

The petrol needle can drop about 2 degrees below the red mark until it is truly empty and when it's about to hit red, the voice synth will speak and tell you that you're running low (usually just after ---- shows). When you get below the red line you really do need to top up. Typically the car will carry on going and get you home but then it won't start again until you've been out with the petrol can lol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:17 am 

hi my name is David I have a phase 2 Safrane 2000 RTE executive ,when I got the car it Had 43.917 miles on the clock with lads of history ,
but my dog ate rear seat belt off side rear so if any one has one or knows if Laguna or Aventine fit would appreciate. also Drivers door seal '
I had heater issues ie only heat if I manualy turn heat up full,i changed control panel and had air con pumped up ,its better but not right ,cools great but ,im told there is a sensor ib passenger side but cant find it or more to the point don't know what im looking for .
Ive been a Renault fan years had my first cars many years back a 6 then a 5 then a 14ts then 9 ,always fancied a mk1 espace but not many about now or 14ts as I would love another .
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:40 pm 

Hi David and welcome to the gang!

Sorry for the delay approving your post, phpbb isn't great at making new posts requiring approval immediately obvious but I have changed your permissions so you're no longer on moderation!

As for the heater / cooler, it sounds like you may have a burnt out fan. This is quite common on the safrane although I've yet to suffer it (yes I'm touching my wooden desk!).

There is a sensor in the climate control panel. If you look under it there are some small screws hidden out of sight. Undo those, pull the unit forwards and you'll notice on the left of it is a motorized sensor that sucks air over a thermistor so that the unit has an idea of the cars temperature. These sensors cost something like £180 new but you'll often find an entire climate panel on ebay for £20 including the sensor. To diagnose if this is at fault, turn on your ignition to the position where the climate panel first lights up. You should (if you listen carefully / in a quiet environment) hear a slight whirring / buzzing sound coming from the panel. IF you hear this, then it's working. If not then it's dead. The good news is that the sensor simply unplugs from the side of the climate panel so if you can get another it's plug and play (or just swap climate panels).

If you need any renault original parts, we have two renault parts department guys on this site: SAFRANEV6RXE and Mappy. Both are very friendly helpful guys and both have safranes - hence their help to others. They also work at different renault garages!

As for the seatbelt, no idea about lag or avantime. Best bet is to put a wanted in the wanted forum and see if you get any takers. I've got one stashed somewhere but I'd be doubtful about its condition to be honest (they go mouldy quite quickly).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:29 pm 

Hi
I should be able to help with the spare parts if you decide what you need,let me know.
I have a brand new clmate panel somewhere for a Phase 2 non heated screen.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:37 am 

Hello from Croatia! After bunch of smaller french cars (Citroen GS x3, Renault 4 x2, Citroen Visa) I needed more convetional and sensible car with enough space for family needs. Since I liked Volvo 2.4 engine in S80, and I have fond memories of safrane mk1 I once had a ride in, somehow I've found it to be perfect choice for my needs. Now I have a few problems and questions, and I think this is the best place to get answers. It is '96 ph2 2.5 20v manual with cruise control, manually adjusted seats, 2 airbags, no glovebox. I guess it is base trim for this engine. Here you can see the pictures: http://www.njuskalo.hr/auti/renault-saf ... s-13695215

1. I cant open my right hand side back door (neither from inside or outside). It seems the mechanism is broken since the outside handle can be moved to positions that are not factory intended :D I guess I need to take off the door card to see what is causing the problem, but I would like some hints how to do it, I don't want to break something.
2. Do all safranes have auto-dipping rearview mirror when R is selected? Mine doesn't or it doesn't work.
3. How to change language of voice messages? It is currently speaking german, so every time it speaks I get scared I have a Nazi hidden in my car.
4. Are Xenon plastic headlamps generally longer lasting then halogen ones? Mine are quite faded and fuzzy and seem to have structural cracks so I'm looking to replace them with 2nd hand ones, and I'm not sure which lighting has bigger effect on deterioration of plastic.
5. Is it possible to transfer front passanger seat foam and cloth on drivers seat base without too much hassle?
6. Is it possible to exchange rear hatch and lights for ph1 ones? I really hate ph2 rear end.
7. Can ph1 double din radio with cd/cassette/eq be installed in ph2 without modifications? I would like to keep steering column controls and dash display.

Thanks for answers (maybe mod should move my questions to new thread?)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:11 pm 

Kapetan Zec wrote:
Hello from Croatia!

Hello to Croatia!!!

Kapetan Zec wrote:
It is '96 ph2 2.5 20v manual with cruise control, manually adjusted seats, 2 airbags, no glovebox. I guess it is base trim for this engine.

The lack of glovebox is common - well here in the UK anyway. Our cars are right hand drive and the glove box should be on the left but renault couldn't fit it in with the heater blower motor so they didn't bother with it - even on the top models! I don't know about the ph1 though...

Kapetan Zec wrote:
1. I cant open my right hand side back door (neither from inside or outside). It seems the mechanism is broken since the outside handle can be moved to positions that are not factory intended :D I guess I need to take off the door card to see what is causing the problem, but I would like some hints how to do it, I don't want to break something.

With regret, I think the only way to get the door open IS to break through the door card and then find a replacement. There is no maintenance hatch / flap etc. The only thing you could try is removing the speaker and seeing if you can get in that way but that would be incredibly uncomfortable and you could need to be very flexible.

Kapetan Zec wrote:
2. Do all safranes have auto-dipping rearview mirror when R is selected? Mine doesn't or it doesn't work.

I don't think your model came with it. A friend of mine had a 2L that was like yours and he had to retro fit many of these options - he collected everything, computers, wiring, replacement mirrors, electric seats... the only thing he didn't manage was the electric heated windscreen.. though he did give it some serious thought!

Kapetan Zec wrote:
3. How to change language of voice messages? It is currently speaking german, so every time it speaks I get scared I have a Nazi hidden in my car.

LOL!!!

I don't know how to change the voice, I think you might need another voice synthesizer unit as SAFRANEV6RXE was looking at a french one for his car so I would assume that it is the same for the ph2.

Kapetan Zec wrote:
4. Are Xenon plastic headlamps generally longer lasting then halogen ones? Mine are quite faded and fuzzy and seem to have structural cracks so I'm looking to replace them with 2nd hand ones, and I'm not sure which lighting has bigger effect on deterioration of plastic.

I have no idea about that. The xenon headlamps were big in europe but they never came to the UK (as far as i know). I've never seen them here but i have seen photos of them on EU cars ( http://www.safrane.org/index_eng.html )

Kapetan Zec wrote:
5. Is it possible to transfer front passanger seat foam and cloth on drivers seat base without too much hassle?

No.. at least not on the electric ones. It's a real pain.. there are straps and wires going through the foam from front to back all over the place. It's easier just to buy replacement seats from someone who is selling them on ebay.

Kapetan Zec wrote:
6. Is it possible to exchange rear hatch and lights for ph1 ones? I really hate ph2 rear end.

I don't know however our forum friend massarani did convert his Ph1 BiTurbo to look like a Ph2 so it is possible that it can be done backwards. Like you, I also don't like the ph2 rear end and would like to change mine to look like a ph1.

Kapetan Zec wrote:
7. Can ph1 double din radio with cd/cassette/eq be installed in ph2 without modifications? I would like to keep steering column controls and dash display.

I have no idea about that i'm afraid BUT.. the centre console fitting does appear to look the same between the ph2 and ph1 so you might get away with it if you try it.. but you'd need to get a wiring diagram so that you know what you're doing. Our safrane has the Carin satellite navigation fitted and had a mobile phone kit installed. The wiring was a nightmare and I ended up contacting Renault about it (who didn't really help much). It took me 2-3 weeks to get it all straight in my head and I ended up taking out the panels on the floor by the doors to examine the wiring before i realised what they had done.

Kapetan Zec wrote:
Thanks for answers (maybe mod should move my questions to new thread?)

No need for mod action... even though its very quiet, this is an easy going and friendly forum!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next