The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:24 pm 

Hello!

Welcome to the new UK based Safrane.Info forum!!!

This forum is open to any safrane drivers who speak english and want to trade tips, technical information or simply make new friends! If you get a moment please spare the time to show us a picture of your car and tell us a little about it.

Please note that we have a marketplace with a 'For Sale' and 'Wanted' forum however due to the spammers, you can only use them once you are manually approved or you make 25 posts. After that you may advertise anything safrane related OR put your For sale / Wanted advert in the safrane forum and I will manually move it over for you.

Saffles ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:12 pm 

Again welcome to any Safrane owners out there,please join and lets have your Safrane stories.
The forum is for any Safrane in any condition,so lets have your Safrane details please.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:37 pm 

Hi to all Members

I am a big Renault fan and have been for many years starting with numerous Reno Five's inc gordini's/ gt turbo's,18 turbo, 25 turbo and 19 16v. Over the last five years I have been the proud owner of Three Safrane's all phase One. First was a Grey V6 RXE Auto then I bought a Blue LHD V6 RXE Quadra imported from Sweden and finally two years ago I traveled to France to buy my current car a Grey Safrane Bi turbo Baccara. This one I'm Keeping. Its a car i never expected to see never mind own as there were so few produced approximate 500 cars, and non to the UK. I have always admired the Safrane and believe it was ahead of its time way back in 1992. Even in today's world now twenty years on a Safrane bi turbo is still the most powerful road car Renault have produced now that's something.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:12 am 

Hi,

Yes the Safrane is certainly a wonderful car. Our user SAFRANEV6RXE has a 3L ph1 v6 that he is very proud of and it is like new - after all of these years!

My partner and I currently have two safranes though one is not currently on the road and the other is ill. Both are phase 2 and have the 2.5 20v engine from volvo.

Welcome to safrane.info :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:43 am 

Hi

Yes they are brilliant cars the phase 2 with the 2.4 Volvo lump are nice cars, before I bought the Quadra i was planning to buy one and do a Volvo t5 engine with manual box conversion. Surprised no one has attempted this as it would be a fairly straight forward conversion hopefully without any reliability issues . The phase two also is a bit more pleasing to the eye, hence my Quadra and bi turbo have had a bit of a face lift. By fitting modified phase 2 panel work. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:25 pm 

I can't remember what site it was on but I did find someone out in the east had been part way through a T5 conversion but it wasn't complete. It might of been on safrane.org's forum actually.. not sure. It's a conversion I'd like to do myself but I don't know anything about car converting to feel brave enough to try it yet.

My next mission is to work out how to do body repairs and pain repairs etc before I consider a engine modification.

BTW, I've removed both you and Safrane3L from the newly registered group so hopefully your posts won't be held up waiting for moderation. The for sale forum is setup to queue pretty much everything as it was being hit relentlessly by spammers and that seems to have stopped them for the time being. Apologies for the delay there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:33 am 

Hwello,

I recognise safranev6rxe's name from retro.

I have got my phase 2 2l (1.9 in reality) auto RTE back. Unsure what to do with it, bin it or use it myself.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:51 pm 

With just 9MPG it's a bit hard to say really isn't it. Personally I love he safrane but they are expensive beasts to keep it must be said. I barely use the 2.5 these days and there is another one on the drive which has barely moved in two years. I might soon be letting the one on the road go (or breaking it) as its becoming very expensive to keep and the MOT is coming up very soon :cry:

The 2.5 around town gets about 17MPG so if yours is only doing 9MPG then there must be something seriously wrong. I found out recently that the gearboxes on these cars have lockup in every gear not just 4th as I'd been lead to believe. Maybe it's not locking up?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:44 pm 

Hi,
My name is Alpineandy and I'm a renaultaholic.
My first was an R8 in the early 80s and I've had various 8s, 10s, 5s, 21s, Alpines and a Clio V6.
Plus 2 Safranes. An Alpine mate in Germany bought a safrane mk2 2.5 manual and after a quick go in it I thought it was an excellent milage-eater with a fair amount of power and exceptionally comfortable. Back in the UK I started my search and then realised that Renault f*cked up by only selling the 2.5 as an auto here.
No wonder they can't get a foothold in the UK executive car market!
But while I was looking I came across a 96 2.5dt (mk1) with only 39k on the clock, in dark red (persian) with grey leather.
It was very nice. Unfortunately 6 months later I wrote it off in Lille.
After proving to the Insurance company that their first offer was way out, I invested the payout in a 43k iceberg silver example of the same 96 2.5dt. 4 years later it's nearly up to 56k and I can's say a bad work about it's comfort and ease of use. It'll cruise between 80 and 90 all day long and I've done a few hours worth of German autobahn between 95 and 105.
I've never really checked the MPG as I don't use it that much and am a bit heavy footed but I'd guess mid 30s.
Everyone that's been in it is impressed by the comfort and build quality.
I have to be honest and say it's not very 'involving' to drive but I've usually got something else for the 'buzz'.
If I lived outside a city (rather than in the burbs) I'd think about swapping for an avantime as I really like them, but it's just too big for where I am now.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:08 pm 

Hi Andy and welcome!

I've never really liked the looks of the ph1 safrane but I have drooled many times over the gadgets that they come loaded with. I drive a ph2 2.5 auto (well actually we have 2 of them but it's rather complex). Yes the 2.5 was only ever an automatic here in the UK, I can't complain though it's a lot of fun to drive and so easy :cool:

MPG in the 2.5 is awful - 17MPG average around town rising to as much as 34MPG on long distance trips - very thirsty - but it cruises so well on motorways etc. They used a volvo engine in the ph2 and it's probably one of the better things Renault done in their time as the engines are pretty reliable workhorses and no matter what sort of abuse you can put them through they just seem to keep going!