The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Project: Hiding the wood
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:37 pm 

the wood trim I think is awful. If it was glossy it would be ok, nice probably, but the dodgy matte finish is just nasty.

So I devised a plan of changing it to something nicer but that can be changed back.

So vinyl was the easiest and cheapest solution. I thought about brushed aluminium finish but I thought it would be to brash. Carbon fibre effect is I feel for reprobates. Matte black it is.

The vinyl I got was £6 delivered. To my eye its a bit more satin finish than matte though.

Anyway the wood trim is easily removed, its all held on by T20 screws. To change them all doorcards and the dash panel must be removed of course. Easy enough.

Some pictures.

Old wood effect

new black beside wood on the door

drivers side

one part wrapped

Drivers door done

passenger rear door

I like it a lot, makes the car feel more modern.

Everyone thats seen it has commented on how much nicer the car is now.

Post subject: Re: Hiding the wood
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:37 pm 

Got to be honest, I always liked the wood myself (even if it is cheap plastic). Still, a good idea you've had there and it may be of use to others as an idea so I'll turn this thread into a sticky.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:25 pm 

Chris H wrote:

Interesting to see how you also have a fuse cover that doesn't fit properly too. I've had this same problem on all 3 safranes we've had. I've even salvaged a cover from the scrap yard from another 2.5 and that also didn't click in properly either.

Very strange that, especially as I know they DO fit - our first one was fitted perfectly until I pulled it out and then it refused to go back properly as if it has warped.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:07 pm 

Hi, I liked the wood 'effect' too but wasn't keen on the matt finish, so i took all the pieces out of the car and polished all of them with a finishing compound until they had a high gloss finish.

Lee.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:04 pm 

I thought about doing that but then thought I just want rid of the wood.

Any pictures of it in a high gloss finish?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:25 pm 

Interesting. What exactly did you use? May have a go!

Lee wrote:
Hi, I liked the wood 'effect' too but wasn't keen on the matt finish, so i took all the pieces out of the car and polished all of them with a finishing compound until they had a high gloss finish.

Lee.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:32 pm 

Me too, I'd like the shiny effect if I can have it!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:14 pm 

OK. Gave this a go today. I spent some time using 'T-cut' on the wood strips and then used Meguiars high gloss polish on them. The T-cut really takes the matt finish away and leaves a high gloss finish and is the most important thing. It's a relatively quick job and can be done with everything in place if you can't be bothered taking the interior to bits. In my eyes, it looks much better and much closer to the 'Baccara' style wood finish or the finish on the earlier Safrane. The pictures don't highlight the difference that well but if you want them to be glossy rather than Matt then this works a treat.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:20 pm 

And finally, a last couple of pictures of the dash and passenger side. I do think it looks much better. :cool:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:23 pm 

Hi there, you've done pretty much what i did, looks so much better! i used t-cut to get the shine as its not too abrasive and then polished them with Auto-Glym high gloss polish. I did this seven years ago and they've stayed just as shiny.

Lee