The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fuel pump
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:27 am 

Hi guys, can anyone tell me where the fuel pump is located please? I'm sure I would find it easily but being lazy! It's stopped working on my parts car so now I can't move it around. And I always told myself if I can't move it around , it'll have to go! But I don't really want to scrap it yet with parts becoming so hard to find. Any other reasons that anyone has experienced to cause the pump to stop? Relay, fuses etc? Thanks Phil

Post subject: Re: Fuel pump
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:34 pm 

It's located in the top of the fuel tank and can be accessed under the carpet in the boot. You need to unscrew a big plastic nut to remove it which is near impossible but you have easy access to the power supply to test that the voltage is there.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:53 pm 

Well I wouldn't have thought to look there! You're a diamond thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:54 pm 

I try lol.

There are two black round rubber things... can't remember which one is which but one has the electricals connected and the other the actual fuel pipes. The only problem is (I just remembered) the fuel pipes need a special renault tool to disconnect them and the plastic is very brittle. Don't try disc onnecting them - you'll snap the nipple they're connected to and thats extremely hard to find as a replacement part as you need to find a car that you can get it out of in one piece - the whole pump assembly.

The connecting wires though... just check they're getting 12V with the ignition turned on. You'll have to unplug it from the pump obviously but stick the probe needles in the connector and you should see happiness.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:05 pm 

Yes I found it thanks. It's not getting 12v so I have connected 12v directly to the pump and it runs, but the car still won't start. I've also noticed that the milometer is not displaying anything, and the radio doesn't either. All fuses both inside the car and next to the battery seem fine, so I'm at a loss as to what the problem is :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:02 am 

With a safrane, it's more likely to be several different problems if i'm honest.

Have you tinkered with any of the connections in the engine bay? - One of the two under the gearbox is a bit prone to knocking out the milometer / gear display... but no idea about the radio if i'm honest - i *think* that still worked when i had this problem but i can't be 100% sure as i was busy panicking about the damned thing not starting. I think it also knocked out the fuel pump... but again i can't be sure.

Word of caution though, the two connectors under the gearbox can be a bit of a pain so be nice and gentle with them.. they don't come apart easily and being french plastic... ;)