The Safrane.Info Forum!

Welcome to our community!
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Some common problems
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:11 pm 

Well i have a small list of problems that i,am aware happens to Safranes
Bonnet release cables snap,or should i say the pull handle snaps of,not a nice job to replace,catches can play up aswell if not clean,oiled.
Scuttle panels blocked with leaves,this involves removing the wiper arms and scuttle panel,but larger leaves can get there and block the drain holes,whilst there its worth spraying grease onto the wiper linkages.
Phase 2 front door pocket lids break of.
Water leaks on Phase 1 into front footwells.
Central locking door locks not working
Low pressure PAS pipes rusty under radiator,N/S corner.
CCS shocks leaking causing car to sit very low(V6 only)

Post subject: Rear Hatch.
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:30 pm 

Hi, On my Ph1 2.5dt executive I'm having a problem with the rear hatch/boot lock. The solenoid got a bit iffy, working sometimes but usually not, so I started checking that it was locked when I left it with the key. Unfortunately I must have forced it a bit and now the key just rotates. And to cap it all, whereas flicking the central locking would usually open the hatch after a few goes, now it doesn't. So I've a car with a big boot and great access to it via the hatch, except the hatch doesn't open....... I've crawled in via the back seats to have a look at how to open it from the inside but can't see how it's done. Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Some common problems
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:17 pm 

If it's like the ph2 then you won't be able to unscrew the plastic panel as the screws are below the rubber seal. The only thing I can think of would be to cut through the plastic roughly in the middle as that is where the locking mechanism is located (and it's a pig to remove but you only need to slide one part over and it will unlock).

Good luck..

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:36 pm 

That sounds like a pig of a job. I'll get the garage to look at that for me.
If anyone's interested, Graham at Kingfisher motors in Billet road (walthamstow'ish area), is a Renault man and has a sensible and sympathetic way with older cars.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:29 pm 

Just thought, the top of the black plastic panel has screws in it, IF you can get those out you might be able to pull the plastic away from the hatch and get a hand down in there just far enough to manually shift the lock.

It'll be a pain but it might be possible.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:15 pm 

On the inside of the tailgate panel there is a cutout for your hand to go in if you closed the tailgate from the outside,it has a sort of finger outline to it and is a few inches square,unscrew that from inside the boot as i think its directly in front of the tailgate catch setup,think its why its placed there,it has a screw or 2 in the middle i think...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:18 pm 

If not there is the inspection panel that you remove to replace the numberrplate lights,again you should be able to maybe see a rod to pull from there i guess,thats about the finger cutout.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:36 am 

SAFRANEV6RXE wrote:
On the inside of the tailgate panel there is a cutout for your hand to go in if you closed the tailgate from the outside,it has a sort of finger outline to it and is a few inches square,unscrew that from inside the boot as i think its directly in front of the tailgate catch setup,think its why its placed there,it has a screw or 2 in the middle i think...

Hi, Climbing through the back seats (with the rear shelf in place as it'll only come out through the open boot!) I've unscrewed that panel but it's linked to the rest of the panel somehow, so won't move.

SAFRANEV6RXE wrote:
If not, there is the inspection panel that you remove to replace the number plate lights, again you should be able to maybe see a rod to pull from there I guess, that's about the finger cut out.

On mine (late 96 phase 1, 2.5 dt) it has 2 number plate lights with individual access panels which are of course, some distance from the lock mechanism.

I've tried removing all 4 torque screws from the bottom of the tailgate panel but can't move it enough to actually see the mechanism (with a torch) but can vaguely feel it. However without much mechanical expertise and knowledge, that doesn't mean much. What I really need is an exploded diagram of the button to lock mechanism, which I don't have as my electronic CD manual is in a box somewhere in my new flat, awaiting it's due time to be opened/reviewed etc.
Anyone got one they can post on here please (pretty please)?

I'll have another poke around in a minute but thought it wise to walk away before I break something (it or me...) :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:47 pm 

I manage to get it open. There's a 'rocker' lever that the rod goes into. It's front to back, so I pressed it back (all by feel) and clunk.
Managed to get the rear shelf out and the boot panel so I can actually see it all now. The solenoid isn't moving but I haven't had time to investigate (and I'm cr4p with electric stuff) but by moving the solenoid lever across I can now use the boot unlocked. Move it back and it's locked.
So I can dump some house rubbish and start organising the house a bit better and maybe find the manual....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:36 pm 

Alpineandy wrote:
I manage to get it open.

Brilliant news! :cool:

Sorry we weren't able to reply to you between posts, it's a slow forum but at least you managed to get it done ;)